Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pumpkin & Basil Behaviour Questions

4 posters

Go down

Pumpkin & Basil Behaviour Questions Empty Pumpkin & Basil Behaviour Questions

Post by stephlisa Tue 26 Sep 2017, 2:00 pm

So, I know my situation is different to most, but thought I'd see what your thoughts are.

My new boys are settling in well together.  They are already interested in being handled and coming out for playtime and we're beginning to see some personalities coming out.

Pumpkin is definitely the dominant currently.  He's also very hyper when he's awake - its very cute to watch.  Basil, on the other hand, is pretty relaxed and enjoys playing but likes nest building and curling up in it (he discovered he can snuggle in my hoodie today).

However, after I've put them both back, there seems to be some bickering - not much, and seems to stem from Pumpkin being a bit over enthusiastic when grooming Basil and ends with a lot of squeaks from Basil (maybe Pumpkin doesn't like the smell of me yet!).  No blood has been drawn, and they have some gorgeously cute snuggle pile moments.  They aren't fighting over food or toys that I can tell and Pumpkin isn't searching Basil out to fight, its strange and I'm still learning about these two babies.

Do you think this is something to be concerned about?  We're monitoring them carefully (what with the whole two boys together thing...) but I'm also aware that they're still settling in and probably still get used to there just being two of them rather than the group of 4 they were in when we met them.

Thoughts appreciated!  (Even if its to tell me I'm being paranoid!)

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Pumpkin & Basil Behaviour Questions Empty Re: Pumpkin & Basil Behaviour Questions

Post by scaredymouse Tue 26 Sep 2017, 4:46 pm

I imagine boys bicker just like girls do, so i imagine its probably normal.  I would be more concerned if there was tumbling and chasing (even though that is normal behavior for girls) given that males are more conplicated.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Pumpkin & Basil Behaviour Questions Empty Re: Pumpkin & Basil Behaviour Questions

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 26 Sep 2017, 9:19 pm

Do you have them both out at the same time, and put them both back in their cage at the same time? If not, I would imagine that may cause a little jealousy. But if you are, then it may be like you said, Pumpkin being a little over excited. I would just keep an eye. So far sounds like things are ok. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:30 am

Thanks for your thoughts. They have been both out with me at the same time and put back at the same time so hopefully its just Pumpkin being overally excited! We'll just have to keep an eye on them. But yes, its going very well so far - Pumpkin is already hopping onto my hand very happily when I put it in to change their water and food!

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Wed 04 Oct 2017, 9:52 am

how is it going?

I am curious.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:49 pm

So all is going well so far. They snuggle together every night (its so cute), we've taken to having two food and water bowls because they were fighting over the seeds in the dishes and that's settled most of the disputes.
They come out and play together with us and go back happy (and are big fans of treats afterwards!).
They bicker occasionally, as I'm sure female colonies do, but we're doing pretty good currently Smile Most of the bickering seems to be when Pumpkin just gets too enthusiastic and hyper! (Seriously, these boys need to learn to run on a wheel to run off some energy...how do I teach a mouse to use a wheel?)

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 05 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm

So happy to hear things are going well with your boys! Dance Dance
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down