Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bald spot

2 posters

Go down

Bald spot Empty Bald spot

Post by Molly_mouse Mon 06 Sep 2021, 1:44 am

Hello!

My mouse, Ivy, has developed a bald spot on her face that she keeps scratching at. It's fairly small and right below her right eye, near her whiskers. It's also only on one side. She's been grooming more than normal for the past two days, but again, just on that spot. I'm not sure what's going on. I doubt she has mites or hotspots because I'd assume she'd be losing fur on her whole body. If anyone's encountered this, any advice would be appreciated. I'm not planning to take her to the vet right away because they charge a fairly high price, so I'm going to keep monitoring. Of course, I'll take her if she needs it. She seems completely fine other than the little bald patch, though, so I don't think it's extremely urgent. I also haven't noticed any increase or decrease in her food or water intake. She's also still EXTREMELY energetic (a characteristic of her personality), and is still trying to climb and check out anything and everything, so I'm not too worried.

If any of this information helps:
Ivy recently turned a year and two months old. She's on the Sunseed Vita Prima parakeet diet recommended by this forum. She also gets a variety of leafy greens regularly. She's currently only with one other mouse, who isn't showing any signs of balding or hypergrooming. She's been with this other mouse since she was five months old and it was around two months old. They've never shown any aggression towards each other, so I don't think this could be a wound. There's also no blood or visible cut or bite. They're in a 600 sq inch bin cage with paper bedding on one side and aspen on the other. Neither of these beddings are new to her. There have also been no major environmental changes other than the weather getting cooler.

This was probably way too much information, sorry! I just didn't want to leave anything out that could be useful and that I just never thought of. Please let me know what you think! Thanks so much!

Molly_mouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Bald spot Empty Re: Bald spot

Post by Dee67 Fri 10 Sep 2021, 5:17 am

@Molly_mouse I'm not sure what that could be as it could be many different things. Just keep a close eye on it, maybe clean the area a few times a day. If it seems to continue on or gets worse you'llneed to see a vet.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down