Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse with raw spot on neck

2 posters

Go down

Mouse with raw spot on neck Empty Mouse with raw spot on neck

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Sat 21 Apr 2018, 4:54 pm

Hello.

My male mouse has a raw patch on his neck and ear from over grooming and itching it all the time. We treated him for mites this morning (vets opinion) but I think it could be an allergic reaction?
He is on Kaytee Aspen but I am changing to a DIY bedding made from unscented, non bleached paper towels.
What is it and is it treatable?

Thank you so much,
A really worried chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

Mouse with raw spot on neck Empty Re: Mouse with raw spot on neck

Post by AppleCheeks Sat 21 Apr 2018, 6:52 pm

Personally I'd agree with your vet on this one however usually to treat mites you want to do more than one treatment - the way I use to treat mites was (this was done usually on cage cleaning day) by mixing 1:5 ratio of ivermectin and water in a spray bottle and doing one spray on their lower back (or alternatively you can use a syringe and put a single drop on their lower back and rub in with your finger). I did this once a week for 3 weeks then gave a 2 week break and repeated if necessary (depends on the severity of the mite infestation).

If you want to rule out other things, the basics would be to change the bedding to paper towels or newspaper - something low in dust. For food you would want to look at something that isn't too high in protein (I think the recommended is around 12%? Correct me if Im wrong guys, I make my own food so..). Remove corn, wheat, sunflower seeds and peanuts - they tend to be the most common allergens though of course you can be allergic to anything and randomly develop allergies at any point in life.
AppleCheeks
AppleCheeks
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Sat 21 Apr 2018, 8:34 pm

Thank you!
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down