Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meat in a Mouse's Diet

5 posters

Go down

Meat in a Mouse's Diet Empty Meat in a Mouse's Diet

Post by CucumberMouse Sat 30 Sep 2017, 3:18 pm

Do any of you know what kinds of cooked meats are safe for mice? Thinks like pork or chicken, I haven't been able to find much information about this. If certain meats are safe, than how much (of the meat) should you feed your mouse/ how often? Thanks Smile
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Meat in a Mouse's Diet Empty Re: Meat in a Mouse's Diet

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sat 30 Sep 2017, 4:34 pm

I know chicken and turkey are safe, but red meat is a no-no. As long as there are no seasonings, flavorings, etc. on the chicken/turkey and it's plain & cooked, you can feed it it as an occasional treat. Personally, I very rarely feed meat. I've given my mice cooked turkey before, but they wouldn't eat it. However, I gave them some dehydrated turkey and they liked it. I'm not sure about pork. Meat isn't in their natural diet usually, as they are normally going to be eating grains, seeds, and the occasional insect. That's why I don't feed it to them very often. It makes a fine treat though Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 30 Sep 2017, 5:41 pm

Insects however are in their normal diet, I like to give them dried mealworms for extra protein.

However, plain chicken and turkey are safe and well received by mice! I would only give it to them once a week.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute Sat 30 Sep 2017, 11:39 pm

I really never thought of giving mice meat, but @scaredymouse is right. Mealworms are great!

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 01 Oct 2017, 9:29 am

I've given tiny pieces of dried chicken, salmon, sardines, and dried minnows before but these were very rare treats and I haven't given them in quite a while.  Like the others, I mostly stick to feeder insects like mealworms, calciworms, crickets. I do also occasionally give them a few pieces of dried shrimp - maybe once or twice a month.  They also love eggs but I don't give them often either.  They've readily eaten all of these things.

Grains, seeds, and insects make up the bulk of a mouse's natural diet but they will take full advantage of things like fruit, nuts, leaves, roots, herbs, flowers, mushrooms, and yes - even occasionally carrion.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down