Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should I have as a mouse diet?

2 posters

Go down

What should I have as a mouse diet? Empty What should I have as a mouse diet?

Post by FuzzyMouse Sun 20 May 2018, 9:08 pm

I am lightly researching mice because I have quite an interest in them. The one thing that I am just having a hard time figuring out is what to feed them. I understand the basics 13-15%% protein, 5% or below fat, and fiber around 10%. And also how you must add things like pasta and fruits and veggies and how you need a variety. I have made a similar topic about this before, but I kind of lost it and wanted to ask again and stage it a bit differently I guess. I just wanted to ask what do you recommend? I would plan to have a group of 4 girls, but I know that does not really matter when it comes to diet. I was looking at the Tiny Freind's Farm reggie rat and mimi mouse and kind of liked it and I found it affordable, but I have noticed that it is lacking in the guaranteed analysis. And I know people feed all sorts of things, but what would be the most simplest diet and possibly the most affordable. I can probably afford an expensive diet, but I would only want to do it if I knew it would be the best. What I really want is just the most simplest diet and not something I would have to mix a lot of things into and take ingredients out of.
I also wanted to just ask if there are any mixes that can be fed alone? If it is not good for the mouse then obviously I am fine with mixing multiple foods together, but I was just wondering if one type of food would be a stable diet.
FuzzyMouse
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sleepy

https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

What should I have as a mouse diet? Empty Re: What should I have as a mouse diet?

Post by CallaLily Mon 21 May 2018, 10:10 am

Many forum members use and recommend parakeet seed mixes as the main staple. It’s the simplest way to find the right GA*, usually don't have to worry about it being chock full of junk, and isn’t terribly expensive.

There’s more info with a few suggestions on commercial foods here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t15-mouse-diet.

*for the average mouse from untracked lines, 12-14% crude protein, 5-8% crude fat, and less than 10% crude fiber is what’s generally recommended. Mice from well-tracked lines or breeding mice may have different needs, which your breeder should be able to point you in the right direction.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

What should I have as a mouse diet? Empty Re: What should I have as a mouse diet?

Post by FuzzyMouse Tue 22 May 2018, 11:22 pm

Ok thank you CallaLily! Yea I have always seen the Vitikraft one recommended and I think that looks to be pretty good for me and I think I could easily afford it. I will for sure do more research though and make sure I have the best working diet. Again thanks for all the help!
FuzzyMouse
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sleepy

https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down