Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are these foods OK for my mouse?

+2
Rodents rock!
dawnkittenz
6 posters

Go down

Are these foods OK?( select for yes, leave blank for no)

Are these foods OK for my mouse?  Vote_lcap20%Are these foods OK for my mouse?  Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
Are these foods OK for my mouse?  Vote_lcap20%Are these foods OK for my mouse?  Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 5
Back

Are these foods OK for my mouse?  Empty Are these foods OK for my mouse?

Post by dawnkittenz Tue 17 Oct 2017, 10:52 pm

I fed my mouse some bread, she seemed to enjoy it. Is it OK for mice? I didn't see it on the food list at all. Confused

I'm also curious about whether or not it's safe to feed mice applesauce. There may be a small chance of possible arsenic content from seeds? Not sure.

One more thing, are cashews and bird seeds OK? I've tried offering the cashews with no luck. I haven't risked bird seed but I do know the wild mice often get into our stock.

Please help!

Thanks!
-Dawn Rainbow2

dawnkittenz
dawnkittenz

Gemini Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Are these foods OK for my mouse?  Empty Re: Are these foods OK for my mouse?

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 17 Oct 2017, 11:06 pm

Hi Dawn, I recommend, as your mouse's main diet, Vitakraft VitaSmart Parakeet Food.

I've never given my mouse regular bread before, but I have given him a bit of pizza crust (plain, without anything on it) and he did fine with it.

I don't know about applesauce, so I wouldn't feed that till you know for sure. I'm certain someone on the forum will be able to tell you about that.

I really don't know about cashews either.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 17 Oct 2017, 11:14 pm

Whole grain bread is ok, white bread isn't recommended. It is also recommended to toast the bread if you can.

I asked about applesauce in the safe foods thread, but it seems no one knows whether it's safe or not. I chose to avoid it due to the possibility of the seeds from the apples contaminating it it with arsenic or cyanide.

The bird seed depends on what kind. Many of us feed certain types of bird seed as our mouse's main diet. Usually parakeet seed is safest, specifically Sunseed Vita Prima parakeet seed, or Vitakraft Vitasmart parakeet seed. Wild mice are different than domestic mice, so even if you see a wild mouse eating something, it doesn't necessarily mean it is ok for domestic mice.

I'm not sure about the cashews.

Are these foods OK for my mouse?  Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Wed 18 Oct 2017, 6:30 am

Cashew nuts are safe as far as I know. (Colin used to love them).

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 18 Oct 2017, 7:23 am

Bird seed can be ok. Many here feed a parakeet mix as their base food. Definitely check ingredients though. Some bird seeds contain things like hot peppers that should be avoided.

Stick to whole grain breads. Doesn't have to be toasted but they may like it more of it is.

Applesauce would be fine I would think. If you're worried about how it's made and if seeds have accidentally gotten in, you could make your own. It's not hard. Stick to plain, unsweetened.

Cashews are safe treats.

I'm assuming you're speaking of treats here. For more information on what to feed your mouse daily as a main staple food, check out this thread. Mouse Diet.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by dawnkittenz Wed 18 Oct 2017, 5:23 pm

Thank you!

dawnkittenz
dawnkittenz

Gemini Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ Sat 28 Oct 2017, 7:34 am

Yes, applesauce is safe when it's home made. It's very easy to do so too and you can decrease the amount of sugar. I would not suggest using store bought apple sauce because it can contain too much sugar and potentially harm your mice too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down