Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxbow? Two foods I'm considering

4 posters

Go down

Oxbow? Two foods I'm considering Empty Oxbow? Two foods I'm considering

Post by comeandsee Wed 14 Sep 2016, 2:12 pm

"Oxbow is NOT a sufficient source of nutrients for mice. There have been many reported cases in the US of mice failing to thrive and even dying if fed exclusively Oxbow. Oxbow can be given in addition to a well balanced diet (though we do not recommend it), but it should NEVER be the majority of their diet."
- Mouse Diet section of this forum.

Obviously this is concerning. I need some help with this one, though. I have found two foods in the small animal section of the pet store that look FAR better for mice than all of the others there. Both are Oxbow.

Oxbow Essentials Adult Rat Food
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1565

Oxbow Essentials Hamster And Gerbil Food
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1591

I'm definitely not an expert, but, to me, the ingredients look good. A lot better than all the others with corn and soy at the very top of the list. Guaranteed analysis is a little off for both, but I wouldn't be using either food as the sole part of their diet. Of the two, I'm leaning towards the Adult Rat, due to the lower fibre, lesser amounts of canola, and added fish meal. Both say they're complete and balanced. Both have essential nutrient supplements, and more.

Would I be able to get some feedback or clarification on these products? Anything is appreciated.

comeandsee

Curious

Back to top Go down

Oxbow? Two foods I'm considering Empty Re: Oxbow? Two foods I'm considering

Post by CallaLily Wed 14 Sep 2016, 3:00 pm

Both are a bit high on crude protein. I've messaged oxbow before  and they stressed that their adult rat food would not be a good diet for mice by itself. I see that's not how you're intending to use it but thought I'd mention it anyway for anyone else who may be reading.  I do agree that the ingredients look better than most block-type food out there. Shame that so many are mainly junk.

Fiber is a bit high on the hamster one too and I personally don't like that it's mainly hay.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Wed 14 Sep 2016, 3:33 pm

Seed mixes are also more mentally stimulating, so I'd stay away from blocks altogether.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by comeandsee Wed 14 Sep 2016, 5:40 pm

That's great to know about the rat food not being a good diet for mice by itself. I'm glad that I found it, though. And yes, it is a shame that so many small animal pellets/blocks are just junk. I know I was getting really frustrated looking through them all.

I absolutely agree about seed mixes! They're amazing, and very fun and stimulating for mice. Problem is that the one I will be feeding isn't supplemented. It's comprised of mostly millet, putting it at approximately 11-12% protein, allowing room for a slight protein boost. I've been trying to figure out other things I can give them on a daily basis to offer a little more nutrition.

So, could I be right in thinking that, a small amount of the Adult Rat food in their daily diet would be good for them?

comeandsee

Curious

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 14 Sep 2016, 5:43 pm

I personally feel it would be, in the way you're planning to use it. Though I know others will likely disagree.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Wed 14 Sep 2016, 7:15 pm

Ah, well that clarifies things a bit! Lol. Yeah, I think that would be okay then. Wouldn't recommend it for anyone else—but the way you're using it sounds perfectly fine.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:55 pm

sounds reasonalble to me, in this particular case

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by comeandsee Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:58 pm

Okay, thank you guys. I'll stick to the plan, then. Two Thumbs

comeandsee

Curious

Back to top Go down