Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will 5 females be happy in the Barney pet cage?

2 posters

Go down

Will 5 females be happy in the Barney pet cage? Empty Will 5 females be happy in the Barney pet cage?

Post by jamlessme Sun 29 Oct 2017, 4:59 am

Is the Barney pet cage from Zooplus (100 x 54 x 45 cm) too small for 5 females? Or is there anything else that would be better? I'm planning on buying it but I'm not too sure that it's big enough for 5, so I would appreciate someone checking for me Smile Also, considering I'm new to caring for mice, should I purchase less mice before buying 5 and landing myself in something I wasn't expecting? I'm not totally unaware of rodents, as I've had degus and hamsters in the past and currently own a Syrian hamster, so I assume I'll be able to manage perfectly, though I can't be too certain. Thank you Smile

jamlessme

Back to top Go down

Will 5 females be happy in the Barney pet cage? Empty Re: Will 5 females be happy in the Barney pet cage?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 29 Oct 2017, 5:58 am

That cage is plenty big! According to the cage calculator, it is spacious enough for 12 mice, but I wouldn't keep that many together of course. Groups of 3-5 are the most manageable, in my opinion, so 5 is a good number to start with. Any number of mice more than 6 isn't recommended to someone without a lot of experience with groups. A group of mice larger than 7 or 8 isn't recommended at all, as you'd likely run into some serious issues with groups splitting and fighting.

Will 5 females be happy in the Barney pet cage? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Will 5 females be happy in the Barney pet cage? Empty Re: Will 5 females be happy in the Barney pet cage?

Post by jamlessme Sun 29 Oct 2017, 6:19 am

Thank you very much for the reply Smile Im debating whether to put them in the Barney or to buy a smaller cage so that they'll bond with me easier. I want to give them space but I'm concerned that they'll be more skittish or less inclined to want to interact with me, as I've heard sometimes happens. Do you think keeping them in the Barney cage be completely fine?

jamlessme

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 29 Oct 2017, 6:38 am

Yes, mice can be uncomfortable in large cages. I would recommend starting out with something that is smaller, but of suitable size for 5 girls. Then, if you'd still like to you can try upgrading the cage later on to the Barney, and see how it goes. If they seem uncomfortable, scared, or timid, you can always move them back Smile

Will 5 females be happy in the Barney pet cage? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by jamlessme Sun 29 Oct 2017, 7:11 am

Alright I will do that Smile thank you very much for your advice

jamlessme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down