Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxbow Rat Food

4 posters

Go down

Oxbow Rat Food Empty Oxbow Rat Food

Post by CucumberMouse Sat 18 Nov 2017, 2:56 pm

I found this food at the pet store and was wondering if it was safe, I'm planning to mix it with my current food to lower the protein a bit and raise the fiber. The food doesn't look like it has corn or flaked peas or anything like that. The salt is a little worrisome though, even if its the 17th ingredient.

https://www.chewy.com/oxbow-garden-select-adult-rat-food/dp/145151?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=Oxbow&utm_campaign=f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product%20Targets&utm_term=1100005111944&utm_content=Oxbow

Food^
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Oxbow Rat Food Empty Re: Oxbow Rat Food

Post by stephlisa Sat 18 Nov 2017, 6:31 pm

I'm concerned by the 'tomato powder'. Tomatoes are bad for mice so I'd be tempted to avoid this.

The diet that I was suggested to follow for my boys was less about the nutritional info and more about the amount of variety you give them. You could check out the whole foods section of your supermarket and look for safe seeds, dried fruits and nuts to add some variety (I give my boys pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, linseed (also known as flax seed I think), banana chips for variety).

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CucumberMouse Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:05 am

Yeah, makes sense, my current diet is already a mix of 4 other store foods, plus a few other things from the grocery store, so that his diet is mostly seeds and things like that. I was looking for a lab-block kind of thing to add to the diet, my mouse was being fed lab-locks when I got him, and I'd like to just offer him that again, of course as a mix in with my current food. Are there any good lab-blocks that you would recommend?
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Sun 19 Nov 2017, 2:08 am

I give my boys Science Selective Mouse as a block and would definitely recommend it. Its great, they love it, and its readily available here in the UK but might be harder to get hold of elsewhere - (try online though!)

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 19 Nov 2017, 12:06 pm

Some salt is necessary in their diet, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Also, tomato powder in a kibble isn't a big deal. It's the acidity in tomatoes that's a worry, but once dried and blended into a kibble that's all balanced out.

But I'm concerned you say you want to use this food to lower their protein. At 16% crude protein, this food is already a bit too high on its own. Most nonbreeding mice from untracked lines do best with 12-14% crude protein, 5-7% crude fat, and 10% or under fiber. (But if your mice are from a reputable breeder who's given you advice on what their line does best with, follow that.)

I also use Supreme Science Selective Mouse as a supplement to a seed mix. It's the best "block" food I've found ingredients and protein wise, and my mice love it. They usually eat it first before the seed mix. I order mine through viovet. I can fit 3 bags in a box (there's a weight limit for overseas shipping) so that's what I do and just freeze the extra bags to keep them fresh. But I know the shipping cost is more than many want to spend (it's a set price whether you buy one bag or fill the weight limit with more or other items). Others have found Supreme Science Selective RAT on Amazon, which works just as well. I've seen the mouse there before but it doesn't seem to always be available.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CucumberMouse Sun 19 Nov 2017, 7:12 pm

Lol, I meant Id mix it with my current food to lower the protein on the oxbow rat food, my current protein amount is between 13 and 14 %, so no need to worry. I was thinking about making an order for viovet soon, so might include that in the order as well. Thanks for all the help Smile
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 19 Nov 2017, 8:53 pm

Ah. LOL sorry about that. I completely flipped that around. Embarassed

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Science Selective, if you can get it.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by moosticks Tue 28 Nov 2017, 9:01 am

Has anyone in the UK had experience of feeding their mice Burgess Rat Royale?

https://www.feedem.co.uk/small-animal-c129/rat-mouse-food-c141/adult-c143/burgess-rat-royale-compete-rat-food-1-5kg-p1272

If so, what did you mix with it to balance it out?

Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Tue 28 Nov 2017, 9:09 am

Have a look at this thread that details a homemade mix that my local rescue recommends. I don't follow it exactly, but its all about variety rather than nutritional analysis.

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t2162-wood-green-s-suggested-homemade-mouse-food

That food is mentioned in one of the sections which is why I mention it. I've not fed it to my mice.

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by moosticks Tue 28 Nov 2017, 12:09 pm

Oh that's fab, thank you. Very Happy

Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Festive

Back to top Go down