Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Needing Some Treat Ideas

+2
Nijimi にじみ
CucumberMouse
6 posters

Go down

Needing Some Treat Ideas Empty Needing Some Treat Ideas

Post by CucumberMouse Tue 05 Dec 2017, 4:29 pm

I've been looking for some healthier, tasty treats for my mouse lately. I used to mainly use Cheerios as treats, but I've read a few posts on this forum that has made me a little worried about what feeding cheerios could do to my mouse (I still feed him some on occasion, but not very often). So if any of you know some cereals that your mice like that don't have Monsanto's weed killing pesticide or overly high amounts of acrylamide in them (like Cheerios do), I'd love to hear about them! If there are safe herbs or dried fruits, or other healthy treats that you know of, I'd also like to know that (and where to find them). Thanks for all you suggestions Wink

I guess I'll go ahead and re-ask this question here, and I don't mean to be rude or bother anyone by asking this again, but no one responded when I originally asked it... Neutral

http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillatreats.html

Theres a website I was exploring and I came to ^ that page. I was wondering which items on the page are safe to give to your mice?
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Needing Some Treat Ideas Empty Re: Needing Some Treat Ideas

Post by Nijimi にじみ Tue 05 Dec 2017, 5:11 pm

Chamomiles, dandelion leaf, rolled oats, are what I know.

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 05 Dec 2017, 5:15 pm

Treats my mice have liked are pumpkin seeds, cantaloupe seeds, aniseed, flaxseed, popcorn, puffed rice, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, nori, hemp seeds, butternut squash seeds, dried calciworms, dried mealworms, dried crickets, dried shrimp, whole grain bread, whole grain crackers, banana chips, coconut, dried cranberries. I know there's more I'm not thinking of... They're really not too picky.  They also like dark leafy greens, broccoli tops, eggs, and sometimes berries - as far as fresh foods go.

I've offered a few commercial treats over the years too and again, they're not too picky. Just triple check ingredients and save sugary ones for special occasions (if at all).

That page. Apple and Oat Treats and Mrs Pasture's Cookies are ok occasionally.  Dipping Dippers are ok except I'm not sure about the flavors Hawthorne and Lavender. Unsweetened dried papaya is safe. Herbs: again not sure about Hawthorne and Lavender or poplar, marshmallow, linden, and thistle but the rest on the page you linked are ok as far as I know.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 05 Dec 2017, 5:24 pm

Sure!  I have some ideas!  Whether they're good or not, we'll leave to the forum to assess.

Any kind of plain grain seemed to be appreciated by my little boopster  -- rolled oats/wheat/rye/barley, or puffed wheat/rice cereal, or baby cereal porridge (sometimes made extra-thick and rolled into a ball or log).  Kashi GOLEAN was handy, for the variety of options in one box, and little April loved Grape-Nuts.

In the nuts-n-seeds department, we stuck mostly with plain sunflower seeds (but no more than 1-3 per day, and not every day) and millet sprays.  I'd collect sesame seeds that fell off the bagels at work into the bagel bag for her, and she loved them.  In season, I'd find dandelion puff-tops (in areas that were not lawn-sprayed, like the edge of the woods or undeveloped fields) for her and carefully transport them to her for destruction and consumption, and I'd also give her the seed-pod tops off the lambsquarters I try to grow every year.  How she loved both of those.

For occasional protein, I gave her tiny freeze-dried shrimps (sold as cat treats) or tiny cubes of freeze-dried salmon (sold as ferret treats).  She also got to occasionally lick some residue off a yogurt cup for me, before I washed out the cup for her to use as a little sleepie bin.

For vegetables, I'd say just about any leafy green was fabulous to April. Romaine, spinach, kale, collards, lambsquarters? numnumnumnumnumnumnumnumnum. Not very big on fruit, though. Lots of banana, a nibble of strawberry or cherry, and that was about it.

My little one was also a big fan of rye bread and pizza crust.  In fact, a little bit of crust and a bit of a baked tomato and a baked green pepper from the topping layer (avoiding the sauce), and a tiny nibble off a RINSED anchovy, and little Miss April was a very happy little girl, just hanging out on Saturday night eating "deconstructed" pizza at the office with her overworked "giant mouse" (me).

Sorry, I didn't look up your chinchilla reference.  I seemed to have plenty to type up already.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 05 Dec 2017, 7:37 pm

My mouse loves Cheerios, but quite some time ago I stopped using Cheerios due to pesticides. So I switched to an organic cereal which looks exactly like Cheerios and Mickey loves them. If I remember right, the brand is Barbara's.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:51 pm

Hmm. Mice, as some of the others suggested, LOVE oats. I've actually never fed my mice cooked oats, but I should try that! I got my girls a rodent trail mix bag (safe for mice, hamsters, gerbils, and rats), and they're pickier than they should be with those goodies (but my sisters' hamsters like them). =)
In regards to the chinchilla treats, I don't recommend them. But, that's just my opinion. Smile

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:43 pm

Sorry there were no responses when you originally asked your question, I must have missed that one. I just had a look at the Chinchilla site you were asking about. Looks like a lot of the toys would be suitable for all rodents. I'm not sure about the treats though, I just don't know enough about that to know what is safe or not from what they carry. I believe there is a thread here which lists foods which are safe for mice. So you might want to take a look at that. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down