Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Baby Mice Squeak

3 posters

Go down

Do Baby Mice Squeak Empty Do Baby Mice Squeak

Post by Spysoup Wed 14 Feb 2018, 5:29 pm

My mouse had babies four days ago. I've left her and the tank mostly alone for the past four days except to give food and water. I haven't seen any pups at all. The only time I heard them was on that first night.
Should I be able to hear them squeaking very often if I'm only in that room for less than three minutes at a time? Do they squeak super often? I've seen the mother and she looks fine. I've heard her bruxing and chirping both in and out of her nest. I was afraid of her eating them as this is her first litter and my first time with a mom mouse and a litter. I'm just wondering if they're in there/still alive. Should I constantly hear squeaking or is it normal for them to be quiet?

Spysoup

Back to top Go down

Do Baby Mice Squeak Empty Re: Do Baby Mice Squeak

Post by scaredymouse Wed 14 Feb 2018, 7:17 pm

Quiet time is perfectly normal. Babies only squeak when they are hungry or need something. So if momma is attentive, they shouldn't make too much noise. They are probably fine. It's normal for her to spend a fair amount of time outside the nest but is she always goes back, odds are they are good.

Just keep giving them space. Good luck.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Spysoup Wed 14 Feb 2018, 7:37 pm

Thank you so much. I was planning on briefly taking the mother out and putting her into another tank for a quick minute while I lift the nesting box to check the pups. I do not plan to touch them. Should I still do this?

Spysoup

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:47 pm

I don't advise doing that. I would just leave them be for now.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:17 pm

After 3 days, it's safe to remove her and take a peek... depending on how well you know the mother. Do you have a relationship with her or is she new to you? Is she a nervous mouse?

If you do look, make sure you put her in a separate tank. And be sure not to disturb the nest.

Here's everything you need to know about babies:
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Spysoup Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:23 pm

I had Eldritch (the mother-she's a PEW by the way) for 10 days before she gave birth. Despite being new to me, she was really social and climbed into my hand on day three. She never seemed scared of my presence and so far has demonstrated an adventurous personality. I've read the breeding packet, but I did consider that we don't know each other very well.

Spysoup

Back to top Go down

Post by Spysoup Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:25 pm

I do plan on sexing the babies at 11 days old as this seems to be one of the easiest days to do so other than later on when the males have more noticeable genitalia.

Spysoup

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down