Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Himi's babies

+7
CallaLily
Peachy
MouseLover
CinnamonPearl
scaredymouse
Brynne
Soren
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Himi's babies Empty Himi's babies

Post by Soren Mon 06 Jun 2016, 1:47 pm

Himi's babies 20160610

While photographing the twins (Himi1 and Himi2 lol, from Usagi's litter) who were so cutely sharing a wheel, i noticed Himi2 has developed what looks like love handles. But her twin, Himi1, does not have love handles.

Last week, a had a previous co-worker who wanted to look at Usagi litter for potential adoption for his teenage kids, so i gathered Usagi's litter (brothers and sisters) in a 12 gallon bin and showed them to him. Though they were only together briefly (maybe 15-20 min), and i was watching them, and i didn't observe any mounting behavior (there was some mild chasing though). Himi2 is the only one that has love handles.

I doubt that's the case, but wondering is keeping me up at night. What does it look like to you?

Last edited by Soren on Sat 11 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Himi's babies Empty Re: Himi's babies

Post by Brynne Mon 06 Jun 2016, 5:43 pm

She looks pregnant.  BUT, if the only time for a possible mating was a week ago, she wouldn't be showing like that. Was it closer to two weeks?  

If it's only been about a week, then she's probably just fat.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:21 pm

For any future showings, it would be best to keep them separate. It can happen fast.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Mon 06 Jun 2016, 11:44 pm

I checked my text messages. He came by to see my mice Monday the 23rd, 14 days ago.

scaredymouse wrote:For any future showings, it would be best to keep them separate.  It can happen fast.

Yes, It would be best. I'll go to walmart to buy more bins.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Mon 06 Jun 2016, 11:50 pm

can mice mate during the daytime? I remember reading on the funmouse, that mice go into heat and mate at night.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:11 am

If it was fourteen days ago, it's more than possible that she is pregnant. Since you had boys and girls together, you might also have other pregnant girls. Keep them separate from now on. You should never have boys in the same container as girls, and you should not ever have more than one boy in a container. It's dangerous for all sexes.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Tue 07 Jun 2016, 5:25 am

Ah, she is probably pregnant, then. 

Yes, mice can mate at any time.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Tue 07 Jun 2016, 3:50 pm

It seems bizarre, I would of thought they would be too distracted to think of mating. They were all super hyper from being taken out of their cage and in a strange new environment. And a strangers hand was petting them.

And i feel guilty. It's not the first time i've done this. When two of usagi's daughters got adopted, i had also put everyone in a bin to be showcased. No one got pregnant then... but it could've happened.

I'm still hoping shes just fat. I took a look of her sisters, none of them seem chunkier than usual, just her.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 07 Jun 2016, 8:02 pm

How old is she Soren?

Try not to feel guilty, you didn't know better then. But you do now, so it won't happen again. We can only do our best with the information we have at the time.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Tue 07 Jun 2016, 11:19 pm

MouseLover wrote:How old is she Soren?

Try not to feel guilty, you didn't know better then. But you do now, so it won't happen again. We can only do our best with the information we have at the time.

I know not to do it again. I still am guilty though, Who knows what ailments the babies may be prone to, because the parents are full siblings. They could've been inbred at the petstore too, which worries me.
12 weeks and 3 days as of today.
A few weeks too immature to be pregnant, because two weeks ago, when I showed him my mice, she was only 10 weeks old.

I took her weight, she is 75 Grams!!! Her usual weight (taken early may) is 51 grams. I can't hope no more, 75g is way above her average.
Weighed all the girls and they still weigh their average 50-56 grams.
So now I am starting to prepare the nursery setting. I'm thinking of letting her keep the big (20gal) tank for the nursery and putting her sisters in my 15gal tank.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 08 Jun 2016, 5:39 am

I don't think it's necessary to give her the bigger tank as a nursery. It'll probably be easier on her if she doesn't have to walk as much to get to different parts of the tank, anyway. A 10gal nursery suffices.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:15 am

Technically - inbreeding only causes health issues if they are already there in the parents. As in, if two mice are completely genetically healthy, and they are siblings, breeding them won't cause any problems. Lots of show breeders inbreed their lines. The issue with inbreeding comes when you're breeding two mice with the same genetic problems - it increases the chances of the babies inheriting them.

I'm not advising people to inbreed mice. My point is - try not to worry Soren. Just because they're inbred, doesn't mean they're doomed to be unhealthy babies. If the parents are healthy mice, chances are the babies are too.

What's done is done, there's no point in feeling bad. Just do your best to support her, give her extra protein and a nice place to have her pups Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Sat 11 Jun 2016, 8:33 pm

Himi had her babies this evening.
A little surprised.
I know you're supposed to clean their bedding 2 days before the babies are due, So I had cleaned her tank last night because i wasn't expecting her babies until Monday the 13th (which would be day 21). But today is only 19 days? I checked on them this morning making sure water bottles were still dispensing (sometimes my water bottles stop dispensing water even when full for some reason), and no babies. After dinner, i went to give my mice their dinner and noticed the nest was different. Himi2 lives with the nanny i selected for her (her twinsy, Himi1, because they're super close!), and they usually sleep outside because it's hot in SD right now (80 degrees F). After dinner their nest was plugged up and nearly buried. And there was some chirping coming from the nest. She had babies in the day time? I thought mice had their litters at night? Himi2 is defying everything i thought i knew about mice. I know Usagi and Daisy had their litters at night.
Himi2 came out of the nest when she heard me open the tank (to feed them) and she was skinnier for sure. I'm a little worried. When she stepped out, she dragged some paper towel strips I gave them for nest building, and there were large spots of dried blood on it.
She seemed okay though. She waited for me to put the food bowl down, and immediately picked out the pumpkin seeds (treat) i sprinkled on top of their food.

Hopefully I get to take and post pictures in 3 days.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 11 Jun 2016, 9:13 pm

Oh, more babies! Congrats. Can't wait for pictures! Confetti

Both of my moms had their litters during the day... one around 10am and the other in the afternoon. I found bloodied papers in my  nests, but Mom was fine. I'd guess a bit of blood during birth is normal.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Sun 12 Jun 2016, 4:14 am

Congratulations!  19 to 20 days seems to be the most common gestation length.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next