Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Himi's babies

+7
CallaLily
Peachy
MouseLover
CinnamonPearl
scaredymouse
Brynne
Soren
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Himi's babies - Page 2 Empty Re: Himi's babies

Post by Soren Sun 12 Jun 2016, 4:16 pm

Looks like mama is doing okay. Caught momma and nanny running on the wheel together like old times! She seems to be trying to loose that baby weight already. Lol.
Himi's babies - Page 2 20160611

They left the nest open so I peeked inside (from the outside). They are super red. Not pink yet. Are they premature? I know new borns are red... but they are 12 hours old now... shouldn't they have lightened yet?

Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Tue 14 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm

It's day three, so it's picture time. I took a look at the babies, and was very very surprised. I counted...
23 babies...
Twenty three...
I know the average litter size was between 6-12, so why are there so many? I was surprised when daisy had 19, and assumed that would be the largest litter i would ever see in my life, but I guess I was wrong. But here I have 23 pinkies.... I am wondering why my mice have unusually large litters? Neutral

Himi's babies - Page 2 20160612

I am unsure what to do now. I told myself I was never going to cull again. When i culled with Daisy's litter of 19 down to 11, I was plagued with issues and babies dying at random. I don't know if the issues I had with Daisy litter was a consequence of me culling some babies, but I don't want repeat issues with this litter. When Himi2 looked like she was near, I told myself I was not going to cull and let mommy do her thing.... But can a first time mom handle 23 babies?

What would you do?
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 14 Jun 2016, 11:13 pm

Wow! I think 21 was the highest I've ever read anyone say. Can you imagine 23 baby mice running around when they open their eyes and stuff? Sheesh! lol

Culling is definitely up to you, but I would do it. It's hard, I know... I culled my second litter of 15 down to 8. It kind of helped to realize that I was helping Mom raise a manageable number of babies instead of many small, possibly sickly ones. A couple people advised before that something was probably already wrong with the babies that passed, right? I don't think they would have died just because you culled others.

I'm sure someone else will have some good advice for you. I mostly wanted to wish you good luck with them, whatever you decide. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 14 Jun 2016, 11:53 pm

Congrats on the babies!

It's your choice whether to cull or not, but if it makes a difference, I highly doubt the issues with your last litter were a direct result of your culling. In fact, you most likely gave a few of the babies a much more peaceful passing than the slower passings some of the others had. In all honesty, if I was in your shoes, I would cull. Twenty-three to a litter is ginormous, and as the mom of them all, I'd feel completely overwhelmed. But I won't try to sway you. It's your choice. Best of luck whatever you choose.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 15 Jun 2016, 7:15 am

Wow!  So many.  I know the House Mouse General Facts page says litter size can be 1-24 but that 9-12 is the average size. I'll let the more experienced breeders weigh in on culling, I just wanted to wish you luck.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 15 Jun 2016, 9:28 am

23?! Shocked Poor mouse... that's an awful lot of babies to handle!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Wed 15 Jun 2016, 2:45 pm

I made the decision that i will cull later tonight, because I checked on them today, and they don't look like they've grown at all.  They are four days old now but they look newborn (small, skinny, and dark red). When my late Usagi had her litter of 9 pups (around april), they were plump (and light pink) and fat by day 4.

I was hoping this would be a drama free litter... Crying or Very sad

Thank you for the advice
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Wed 15 Jun 2016, 2:59 pm

I'm still wierded out though... I read somewhere that a doe's first litter is usually the smallest. I wonder if it's diet related. Will too high protein and fat make them have larger litters?
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 15 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason with it tbh, goodness knows why some have 6 and some have 24 Don't Know The pups will have a much better chance at growing and surviving if there's fewer of them, so I think you're right to cull. Does Himi seem to be feeding them?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Wed 15 Jun 2016, 6:16 pm

23 babies!!! Imagine them all trying to run on a wheel at once Rofling I'm gonna agree and say culling is probably the best option if you haven't done so already so mum has a more manageable number
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Thu 16 Jun 2016, 11:35 am

i culled 5 (4 small boys and 1 runt girl)... ugh there are 18 left... but i simply cant decide among the healthy pups. How do I decide now?
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:57 pm

I don't know how you would decide but I wouldn't have been able to cull I would have forced myself to hand feed considering I barely get any sleep anyway but I guess culling from 23 babies is for the best Sad
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:01 pm

goldfishfanforever - Unfortunately it's incredibly hard to hand rear such young mice babies (the success rates are awfully low), and whilst hand feeding them instead of culling may seem like the kinder option, it would likely just have given those mice a longer, drawn out death, filled with suffering, instead of an instant one. I get where you're coming from, I can't imagine having to do it, but with 23 babies culling really is the kindest option Sad

Soren, how are things going now?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Wed 22 Jun 2016, 1:13 am

I stopped culling after 18... or at least i think there is about 18ish. Every time i try to go in and count, they move around and the number keeps changing, and when i take a picture, there are babies in the bottom of the baby pile i can't see. It's been a little over a week, and they're starting to have their fur. They all appear to be white-ish. They may all be himalayan, since mom and both brothers (who could have impregnated her) are himalayan too.

Here's the picture!
Himi's babies - Page 2 20160613
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 22 Jun 2016, 8:44 am

Aaw so many! Do they all appear to be doing well?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next