Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleece/Chewing

+4
stephlisa
River
JuniperBerry55
CucumberMouse
8 posters

Go down

Fleece/Chewing Empty Fleece/Chewing

Post by CucumberMouse Thu 22 Feb 2018, 8:47 pm

What do you all think of using fleece as bedding? It'd be hard to burrow in, but pretty dust free. On another note, I've tried giving my mouse fleece items and he's just chewed on it so i had to take them out. He also chews on anything like Velcro or plastic suction cups or anything like that in the cage. Anyone know how I could discourage that behavior or why he does it?
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Fleece/Chewing Empty Re: Fleece/Chewing

Post by JuniperBerry55 Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:06 pm

I always prefer to use a substrate so they can burrow in, not to mention odor control.
However, I have used fleece before and seen a few others use it. It's quite good if your mouse has a delicate respiratory system but it definitely smells a lot quicker then something like aspen. It's very easy to just take out and put a new piece down though.

Try it out and see if it works for you. You can always give your mouse a deep container full of bedding if you still want somewhere for him to burrow.

JuniperBerry55

Taurus Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Post by River Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:50 pm

One of my girls chews hammocks too. I dont mind it, I just replace when needed. We're fine so far.

I have a levelled cage with fleece on the levels...terrible for smell. Absolutely terrible. She doesn't chew this but her bladder control goes to zero when she stands on it or something because despite not being near the litter box, it smells like urine in seconds. That said its pretty simple to replace and clean whenever necessary. Not sure if I'd do that for the whole cage, though.

As for why he chews...he thinks it's fun. I don't think it can be stopped but more chew toys may help.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:39 am

The other downside to fleece beddi g is that it doesn't absorb urine well. Personally I wouldn't use it.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 23 Feb 2018, 2:25 pm

I did fleece liners and fleece strips for Daryl for a time when we were checking for allergies. Definitely not great for odor and not absorbent.  I know those who use it for hedgehogs or guinea pigs often put an absorbent puppy pad underneath but mice being such chewers that’s probably not safe. I had to change it out often due to odor. He did like the fleece strips for nesting though. I definitely prefer paper based bedding.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 23 Feb 2018, 3:18 pm

I personally have no opinion on fleece for bedding, but my sweet little April apparently didn't mind:

Fleece/Chewing April_15

The top right photo, she's asleep in my shirt; the other three are on various pieces of fleeces.

We used a variety of materials for her to sleep in, including yogurt cups turned on their sides, boxes cut down to mousie-boudoir size with an access door for in and out (she'd chew the windows where she wanted them), little fleece "blankets", baby washcloths, little plush Santa stockings (that she'd chew the toe out of and peek through), and even an XXXS cable knit puppy sweater. We'd supplement that with torn paper towel and facial tissue. There was no master plan for what to use or how much, and practically every day I'd sniff the cloths currently in use to see if they needed a quick hand laundering, as well as pulling out soiled paper.

This was only for bedding purposes - not for lining the tank. April figured out just about immediately to use one end of her tank as the mademoiselles' room, and I would keep the floor at that end covered with paper towel. Unfortunately, she DID have a habit of chewing up freshly wet paper and dragging it back into her bed. (Agggghhhhh -- but I love you anyway, SweetieBoop!) No matter how much bedding was there already, she always wanted more.

She never chewed the fleece. Other than the toes of those plush socks, the only fabric I can recall she ever had a thing about putting in her mouth was cashmere.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by pokemonsz Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:47 am

My Benji also loves chewing on fleece, but I was under the impression it was okay because the fibers don't get stuck in the digestive system like cotton does? That's the purpose for using fleece anyway right? Confused

Edit: I realize I'm actually using felt which is no longer on topic but I'd still like to know if it's safe for Benji to chew and tear up.
pokemonsz
pokemonsz
Jr Member
Jr Member

https://supermegashowoff.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:54 am

Im pretty sure felt is safe, yes.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 26 Feb 2018, 12:18 pm

I used to use felt before I got fleece. Never had a problem with it here!

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CucumberMouse Mon 26 Feb 2018, 8:12 pm

So, would it be dangerous for them to chew the fleece, or hammocks and fabric and such? Could the little strands of thread get caught in their throats? Also, my mouse had been chewing on his hammock too, which is more of a furry kind of texture on the outside, and some sort of silk on the inside. He's also been pulling out the stuffing of the hammock, and I've been trying to take out any sort of stuffing that he pulls out but I can't keep up. Are those things (the stuffing and whatever the hammock is made out of) dangerous? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance Smile
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down