Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleece. Is it safe?

+5
stephlisa
MouseLover
CallaLily
AnonymousMouseOwner
mouseman
9 posters

Go down

Fleece. Is it safe? Empty Fleece. Is it safe?

Post by mouseman Thu 03 Nov 2016, 2:52 pm

Guys, I was just wondering if fleece is safe for mice and what your opinion of it being used as bedding is? Thanks for any and all help, sincerely A new mouse dad.
mouseman
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Fleece. Is it safe? Empty Re: Fleece. Is it safe?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 03 Nov 2016, 3:02 pm

Fleece is safe, just make sure it's 100% polyester. I wouldn't recommend it as bedding. Here's a few reasons:

1. Smell: It will get smelly and dirty very quickly, within hours, especially if you only use one layer, as there is not much to absorb their waste. There are no odor control properties in fleece, so you would just end up with a big smelly piece of fleece very quickly.
2. Burrowing: This one's pretty obvious, there is nothing to burrow in or make comfy nests out of.
3. Comfort: I have noticed some of my mice don't really like walking on fleece. I think it feels funny on their feet. So, if you have a mouse that is the same way, I don't think he/she will enjoy walking on fleece constantly.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 03 Nov 2016, 5:19 pm

I second the fleece getting pretty gross pretty quickly. I used fleece liners and fleece strips for nesting with a mouse for a few weeks trying to figure out if he had allergies. I had to change them out several times a week.

But yes, fleece is safe.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 03 Nov 2016, 6:12 pm

Yeah fleece is great for making things like hammocks, or even little pieces to go in a nest, but not as the main cage bedding.

I just made a long fleece braid rope, which the mice have been tight rope walking along. There's lots of fun to be had with fleece Very Happy

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by mouseman Thu 03 Nov 2016, 8:00 pm

I'm so happy for all the replies. You guys really were a huge help, I really couldn't find too much on this topic but i did stumble upon something about fleece not being absorbent and that being the main reason it becomes nasty so fast.
mouseman
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 04 Nov 2016, 5:59 pm

My mouse loves small squares of fleece to put in his nest - but as others have said it can smell very quickly! He gets plenty of paper bedding to make his nest with too.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 05 Nov 2016, 8:32 am

The absolute best bedding for mice is a paper-based bedding like shredded newspaper, carefresh, or kaytee clean and cozy. It's soft, absorbent, and great for burrowing.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 05 Nov 2016, 3:49 pm

Fleece is used as bedding for larger animals that are more easily litter trained, but like others said, probably isn't great for smal pets as a base bedding.

Its also worth noting that while people here generally prefer paper based, some mice do prefer aspen.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 05 Nov 2016, 4:55 pm

It's also worth noting that if you do decide to go with aspen, watch for allergies. Probably won't be an issue for most mice but something to keep in mind as allergies can develop over time.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by mouseman Sun 06 Nov 2016, 7:12 pm

CallaLily wrote:It's also worth noting that if you do decide to go with aspen, watch for allergies.  Probably won't be an issue for most mice but something to keep in mind as allergies can develop over time.
I'm actually looking to do paper bedding. I'd don quite a bit of research about bedding I was just having a hard time finding anything about this topic specifically. Thanks so much for the aspen tip though. Very Happy
mouseman
mouseman
Jr Member
Jr Member

Virgo Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse Mon 02 Apr 2018, 8:59 pm

yes fleece is safe for mice however i would definitly not reccomend it as a bedding because it has absolutly no odour control, would have to be changed every few days, (which is stressful for the mice) some mice like to dig - no digging access, mice could chew on it and its not very good if they digest the fluff

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by cuppaginger Wed 25 Apr 2018, 2:57 pm

MouseLover wrote:Yeah fleece is great for making things like hammocks, or even little pieces to go in a nest, but not as the main cage bedding.

I just made a long fleece braid rope, which the mice have been tight rope walking along. There's lots of fun to be had with fleece Very Happy

Just had to jump in and send a thank you for the idea to braid it to make ropes! Hearts Our local pet store doesn't have much in the way of climbing things for aquariums/bins. They have tons that attach to cages so we've had to get creative lol found some in the bird section that we could hang from the top of the cage and I picked up some fleece to make a few little hammocks from and the braid will be great for the leftovers. I'm premaking things to switch out every so often in their home so they don't get bored.
cuppaginger
cuppaginger

Scorpio Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down