Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moving baby mice.

3 posters

Go down

Moving baby mice. Empty Moving baby mice.

Post by HWN2013 Thu 15 Mar 2018, 9:04 pm

Hello! Recently (The 12th), my mouse Oreo gave birth (it was shocking, since I have no male mice, I just got her on the first of this month, so she must've been 8 days in.)

it's been nice, she gave birth to 8 babies. And it's been nice. Although Oreo & the babies live in a container. While the other 3 mice I own live in a normal tank.

While the container is okay, whenever I lift the lid (which has holes) to check the mice, Oreo runs away (even if she's feeding.)

Obviously I don't want to frighten her, but I can't see through the container since the water in the water bowl evaporates.

And the container is getting dirtier, which I'm painfully aware that that's not good. Basically, I'd like to move them into a bigger tank. (Separate from the other 3 for now)

As of today they're 3 days old, and I don't know if I should handle them yet as I don't want Oreo abandoning them. But I'm not sure what to do here. Cause the container is gross. And I pretty much have to check on them often to refill Oreo's water bowl so she doesn't get sick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Proud Owner of 10 Mice:

Checkers ♂ (Adopted: 7-30-21) [Was told was a girl.]
Almond ♀ (Adopted: 7-30-21)
Ash ♀ (Adopted: 7-30-21)
--
Checkers & Almond's Kids (Oops):
Bobby D. ♂ (Born: 11-04-21)
Checks ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Lucille ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Vanna ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Ingrid ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Zora ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
Ollie ♀ (Born: 11-04-21)
HWN2013
HWN2013

Sagittarius Artistic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4bMtpmXSzAfMwsCXgCpkAA

Back to top Go down

Moving baby mice. Empty Re: Moving baby mice.

Post by River Fri 16 Mar 2018, 12:53 am

I don't have baby experience, but I wish you luck! Someone should be along shortly, I know there's been a handful of accidental litters here.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 16 Mar 2018, 9:20 am

If you want Oreo to be less skittish when you take off the container lid, she has to be better prepared that something is going to happen and has to know that it does not mean something bad.  She is new to you and your house, she is new to the container, she is new to being alone with all those tiny mouselings ... lots to be apprehensive about.

Try letting her know that your are approaching by speaking or singing calmly and gently when it is time to check on her.  Then when you are at the container, exhale (don't blow) over the top of it so she can smell that it's you she's been hearing.  Bring a special, but healthy, treat for her and place it inside near the food so she will start to associate sound+smell+treat = you = no danger.  Continue speaking/singing quietly as you go about changing the water and adding new food -- and cleaning up little bits of the mess with each visit (but staying away from the nest itself).

After the third day, Oreo should be much more settled into the routine of baby care and not as likely to harm any of her babies, so over this weekend you should be able to get  some good cleaning done.  Just work on it a little bit at a time, concentrate on the worst spots first, but DO avoid messing with the nest.  Try to get some of your own scent on the fresh bedding material (such as by breathing on it and/or rubbing it in your hands before placing it into the container) so the smell of you will be part of the smell of warmth and comfort and home for all of them.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by HWN2013 Fri 16 Mar 2018, 3:48 pm

I appreciate the reply, and the advice with getting her used to me sounds like a plan and I'll do that in the future.
Now, when you say avoid messing with the nest. The nest is the part that's dirty. The whole container is essentially the nest. It's not a big container, enough to store a turkey.

And how would I go about moving the babies out? Cause I would like to put them in the tank? Because I don't know how to pick up a 4 day old mouse basically.
Again I appreciate it and thank you for the information, I just want to be real careful, I wouldn't want my pups to die.

Last edited by HWN2013 on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I was informed of some things.)

Proud Owner of 10 Mice:

--
HWN2013
HWN2013

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 16 Mar 2018, 5:07 pm

For comprehensive advice on handling babies and cleaning the nursery tank, see the "Breeding Packet" topic under the "Genetics & Reproductive" heading on this Web site.

For cleaning the set-up you describe, what you might want to try first is to have Mama Oreo move her mousettes for you. Place a box -- something with a bottom, top, sides, and an opening for access, like a cube-shaped tissue box lying on its side -- into the container, and work it down through the bedding so it's sitting on the bottom of the container and Oreo can't just tunnel under it. Be sure to put some bedding inside the box. Then see if she starts moving the babies into the shelter. Once she re-settles inside the box, you can clean around it, just focusing on the worst spots and not spending a lot of time on it, without having to move anybody out of the current container and without disturbing any of the tinies. I wouldn't lift the whole thing out, Oreo, babies, box, and all, and move it to another tank, though. Give Oreo lots of private time with her babies.

The more time and experience a mouse has with its human, the more it will trust its human to handle its precious babies when they are so mama-dependent. There shouldn't be any problem with you interacting with the babies at day 4, but since Oreo is new to you, you might find it easier on her if you just begin by introducing your hand to them all for a little gentle finger-petting time, and see if she objects to ("bites") your hand or starts moving the babies around to get them away from the strange fingers. If she does, stop and try again later. You will get used to touching the baby mice, and should develop a "feel" for how delicate they are and how to pick them up or scoot them with your fingers into your other hand or some other transporting object (like an empty yogurt cup, for instance). Handle them like you are trying to catch and hold floating soap bubbles, and you should be gentle enough not to hurt any of them!

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by HWN2013 Tue 19 Jun 2018, 12:32 am

It's been a while, but I wanted to post a quick update.

I ended up just moving them into the tank, babies first, then Oreo. And to my surprise it actually worked. The babies ended up growing up gracefully, though one of them became obese (like a former mouse of mine...) But they are all healthy, though the girls seem to be more active at times.

I named them: (Girls) Mini Oreo, Bullet, Slate, (Boys) Lennon, Ryder, Starkey & Vox.

3 months old and so full of life. Thanks again for any reply I got. It did help Smile
Oreo and I even bond sometimes. Smile

Proud Owner of 10 Mice:

--
HWN2013
HWN2013

Sagittarius Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down