Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it possible to figure out the pecking order?

2 posters

Go down

Is it possible to figure out the pecking order? Empty Is it possible to figure out the pecking order?

Post by casualmousemom Sat 07 Apr 2018, 8:27 am

I know a lot of people with bigger mice colonies can easily pick out the alphas but with my girls I can’t seem to figure out who is in charge. It’s not that big of a deal, they all get along fine, but I’m more just curious whose in charge in there. I have seven mice together (all female) and they all get along for the most part, there are three who may be the alpha but I can’t really tell, for curiosities sake is there a way to kinda “easily” figure out the pecking order?

casualmousemom
Jr Member
Jr Member

Gemini Stressed

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to figure out the pecking order? Empty Re: Is it possible to figure out the pecking order?

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Wed 18 Apr 2018, 10:37 pm

Generally the dominant female will eat first, use the new toys before the others, sometimes nip at their cage mates etc. It can be very hard to spot and I haven't heard of a method that is proven to show who is alpha. I would just sit and watch them for a while. You could put a couple of treats in and see whether one of the females bullies the others into letting her get them first. They may all just eat them politely. The three you are wondering about could all be "co-alphas". Hope this helps Smile
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down