Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wire spacing

3 posters

Go down

Wire spacing Empty Wire spacing

Post by ellen Mon 14 May 2018, 1:27 pm

Hi! I just joined and have been reading many posts. I have a small wire cage that I will be using temporarily until I get a long aquarium but I have a question concerning wire spacing. What is the appropriate wire spacing so he won't get out? I'll be getting a 7 week old male mouse soon and have never owned one before. Excited!

Thanks!

ellen

Back to top Go down

Wire spacing Empty Re: Wire spacing

Post by Jadamouse Mon 14 May 2018, 11:09 pm

hello and welcome! Wave

if the spacing is any larger than 1/4 inch then i wouldn't recommend using the cage, especially since he is young he is most likely smaller than a fully grown mouse and would be able to escape easier.

you could always use a tall storage bin with minimal climbing toys (so he cant escape) and just leave the lid off as a temporary cage if the wire cage's bar spacing is too small or if you are concerned that he will get out.

good luck with your little mousie Smile

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 15 May 2018, 7:23 am

I would be careful using a lidless enclosure. Mice can jump pretty high and are expert climbers. It’s easy enough to cut an opening in a bin lid and attach metal hardware cloth for ventilation.  Better safe than sorry. Wink

But yes, 1/4 inch bar spacing for young mice. Older mice you may be able to get away with 3/8 inch. Make sure the bars don’t bend easily and double check for larger gaps near doors and corners.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down