Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My heart mice...

+3
scaredymouse
Artistwolf
MouseLover
7 posters

Go down

My heart mice... Empty My heart mice...

Post by MouseLover Sun 19 Jun 2016, 1:41 pm

Maybe it's because it's Honey's half birthday (18 months old today), or because I'm struggling to find new mice, but today I find myself thinking lots about certain mice that I've lost along the way. The special ones, who I had extra close bonds with, and who I still miss years later.

This could get long, but I wanted to share a few pictures and introduce you guys to the ones I miss the most. My heart mice.

My first ever mice, Daisy and Peach, were the greatest introduction to mice I could have possibly had. They will forever be the dearest mice to me for this reason, and my heart still hurts when I think about them, about 8 years since they passed.

My heart mice... Dp10

They were black-eyed whites, one standard (Daisy) and one satin (Peach). Quite frankly, their cage was rubbish as I didn't know much about mice then. But luckily, they hardly spent any time in their cage anyway. They were my desk mice. They were the best mice - they were so friendly and tame, and had such great personalities. Daisy was a manic mouse, super energetic and always ready to play and explore. Sadly she developed a large mammary tumour at 10 months and had to be put to sleep. The day I decided to say goodbye was the day that my once manic mouse, curled up and went to sleep in my hand. It just wasn't like her, and I knew it was time to say goodbye. She was the first pet I ever lost, so it was hard. Peach, on the other hand, was the opposite to Daisy - chilled out beyond belief. She would brux and boggle in my hand, when I stroked her, and instead of exploring, she just preferred to sit on my lap or find a cosy place to rest on me. She used to crawl in my bra and take a nap next to my chest Laughing She was gentle and sweet, and when she was introduced to two new mice (Ivy and Penelope) who were about quarter the size of her, she accepted them straight away. It's the only introduction I've done where the mice all went to the nest together, and that was it - no squeaking, chasing, not a peep. Peach also developed a mammary tumour and had to be put to sleep at 18 months old, but her and Daisy made a big impression on my heart, and because of them I have owned mice ever since, and can't imagine my life without them.

My next heart mouse is my little Clover. Here are pictures of her at 4 weeks and 2 years old.

My heart mice... Clover10
My heart mice... Clover11

Clover was special, not because she was the cuddliest mouse or biggest personality, but because of how much we'd been through together. A few weeks after I got Clover, her and her sisters developed a URI. Her sisters were sneezing and chattering, but seemed otherwise okay, but poor little Clover wasn't eating, drinking, or leaving her nest. She did not look good and I thought I was going to lose her. I got baytril for them, and found that the two sisters would eat their dose on a cheerio, but Clover would not. I had to scruff her or wrap her in a tea towel and force the baytril in her. All the mice recovered, including Clover, who seemed to suddenly blossom and come out of her shell - but she hated me now, and would bite me. It took me a long time to win her back over, but eventually I did and she became the most friendly and sociable of the three. Clover developed another URI (just her this time) and had to be treated again, but this time it never fully went away. She struggled on and off with her lungs for the rest of her life, and had to be given extra care and antibiotics whenever she had a bad patch. Throughout all of this she was the happiest, friendliest, sweetest mouse. Clover started getting very old, and so I started to look for new mice to keep her remaining cage mate (Minnie) company. I arranged to pick some mice up the next day, and on that day found that Clover had died. She was 2 years 7 months old, and it almost felt like with the new mice coming, she decided it was her time to go, as she knew Minnie wouldn't be alone. I felt like me and Clover had been through a lot together, and I will always feel proud that I got her to such a good age, and never gave up on her.

My mouse recent heart mouse was Ginger, who I lost in April.

My heart mice... Ginger10

Ginger was the freaking best. Ginger was the first mouse who managed to bond with my entire family. My family aren't that interested in my mice, but Ginger was the most sociable mouse - she demanded to interact with anyone and everyone who walked past her cage. She would climb up the bars and wait there til she got your attention. She just loved people. If there were people in the room, she had no interest in her cage mates, or her wheel or other mousey things, she just wanted to see you, and would wait by the cage door for half an hour if that's what it took. She was just so lovely and demanded to be loved. My sister would ask to hold her. My dad would give her veggies through the bars. My boyfriend (who didn't even like to hold the mice) used to have her up his sleeve multiple times a day. Unfortunately, Ginger was a lethal yellow, which are prone to obesity, diabetes, and tumours. She developed a tumour at 15 months and had to leave us. My whole family was sad, and my boyfriend cried his eyes out. Everyone misses her.

Sorry, this was super long and so I doubt anyone will read it all. But these are the mice who were most important to me. These guys are the reason I could never not have mice in my life. They were great mice, and they deserve to be remembered  Angel  Heart

Feel free to share about your special mice. I never tire of talking about mine.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

My heart mice... Empty Re: My heart mice...

Post by Artistwolf Sun 19 Jun 2016, 2:18 pm

Aw, that's so sad, but such lovely stories and memories. They were beautiful mice.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 19 Jun 2016, 5:41 pm

Awwww, mice are heartbreakers. Ginger looks like a bunch of fun. Look at that face! No one believes me when I tell them that each mouse has such a unique personality. I love all my mice but I've only had one heart mouse. My scaredymouse, Penelope. She was why I joined the fun mouse forum. I'll edit this when I get to my computer to add pics and her story.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Sun 19 Jun 2016, 8:13 pm

Aww so many brilliant little lives that although they may no longer be with us they will be remembered forever Smile
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 19 Jun 2016, 8:35 pm

I'm glad you shared, they were all so lovely! Ginger sounds like a very fun girl. It's terrible that mice can't stick around longer.

I'd love to share my best when I'm on an actual computer. Razz
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:08 pm

scaredymouse - are you referring to the mouse in your avatar? I have always thought your avatar picture looked just like my black and white mouse, who was called Penelope Shocked

Such little heart breakers indeed. Sometimes it's worth the pain of missing them though, just to remember how awesome they were and how lucky I was to have them.

I love all my mice so much. But my little Ginger... when a mouse is so awesome that she even demands the hearts of non-mouse-lovers, you've got something special Wink she loved being fed treats in your hand whilst being stroked, she looked like she was in heaven hehe. She would lie so flat on your hand with her little legs splayed backwards... I can't describe it properly, it was just so funny Heart

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:32 pm

It took me a lot longer than I expected to get a computer!  Then we had to watch game of thrones.  I was very satisfied with the ending of this episode.  Anywho, I have only had one heart mouse, my Penelope.  Some of the old timers here remember my Penny.  She was why I joined the Fun Mouse Forum.  She was in a tank by herself at PetSmart.  Not sure what her story was, but she was probably about a year old and so very, very scared of everything.  I have never met a more terrified and hostile animal as my Penny.  Check her out!

My heart mice... Wp_20139
My heart mice... Wp_20140

I got her at the same time as Gilly and Furgie, who were in a different tank at Petsmart.  Introductions were rough but Gilly just snuggled her into submission.  Gilly and Furgie loved her so much.  Gilly looks so young in this picture!

My heart mice... Wp_20141
My heart mice... Adobep12
My heart mice... Qm6l3w11

I tried everything to tame her.  I just couldn't get through to her.  But with NM's help on TFM, and her "it's time to show her who's boss" approach, Penny became my heart mouse.  Literally.  She spend most of her time snuggled over my heart, in my shirt.  I've got a lot of pictures that I can't show anybody.  I'd just carry her around in there.  She was the best.  It killed me when she started withering away.  She lost so much weight.  And finally, she began having trouble breathing.  She was the reason why I learned how to do home euthanasia.  My scaredymouse would have hated going to the vet.  I wanted her to feel safe at home.  So, I learned for her.  And she went peacefully.  It was the hardest thing I have ever done.  I've got tears streaming down my face just writing about her.  But I'm so glad that I was able to do that for her.  I remember thinking to myself.... I will suffer for her.  And I probably will a little bit, forever.  Sorry to be such a downer.  She was a great mouse and she taught me a lot.  And I wouldn't change a thing.  I just wish I had more time with her, it wasn't enough.

My heart mice... 3280jn11
My heart mice... Wp_20142
My heart mice... Wp_20143

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Mon 20 Jun 2016, 7:18 am

Aaw those are some really sweet pictures there Smile that's such a triumph that she went from the biggest scaredy mouse to trusting you enough to sleep in your shirt - your Penelope is an inspirational story for all those difficult to tame mice Very Happy

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 20 Jun 2016, 8:21 am

You almost had to laugh at how aggressive this little mouse was! There she was, all of an ounce and a half, tail rattling and squnity. Usually she would just run away but sometimes she would just stand there and dare you. Oh, and she didn't mind biting either. Aw, I miss her. Once we came to an understanding, everything changed overnight, it seemed. She used to chatter a lot too. Sometimes, she never stopped talking when I had her out. She was an interesting lady.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:28 am

What great stories and beautiful mice. Thank you for sharing. Heart

I bonded the most with Daryl, even though he was with me for the shortest amount of time. He always begged to come out when he saw/heard me and just loved to hang out in my hood or sleeve. Even with all the trouble with his eyes, all the medicine, and vet visits he was always happy to see me.
My heart mice... Temporary_170
Hanging out in my sleeve.

My heart mice... Temporary_185
I know I've shared this one a few times before but it's one of my favs. He's snuggled back near my underarm inside "his" fleece hoodie.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:04 pm

I'm sure that we've all had a heart mouse if we've been mousing for any length of time. My heart mouse, Tara, was part of this last colony of whom Cordelia (2 yrs old) is the remaining member. I had a new trio, Anya, Buffy and Willow, who I'd intended as new sisters for Tosca, living alone since the passing of the last of her sisters a few days earlier; sadly, Tosca passed while the trio was still in quarantine so I decided to add two more mice to the new group and thus purchased Cordelia and Tara. Cordelia was immediately outgoing and fearless but Tara was timid and shy when she was not near Cordelia but came to trust me during our taming sessions -- this trust became vital later on.

After the duo's quarantine was up, introductions were made: Anya, the alpha, immediately threatened the new girls, absolutely terrorizing Tara whom she realized was the gentler of the two. Not to be left out, the other girls started in on the newcomers as well. Cordelia assumed a "whatever, go with the flow" attitude and was grudgingly accepted by the trio; Tara, however, was totally ostracized: forced to sleep alone, eat before or after the others but never with them, play by herself, run on the saucer alone -- the only comfort she had was her sister Cordelia, who would come to her from the common nest when the others were asleep, and me. As time went on, Tara was accepted and actually became Queen Anya's best friend but the bond forged between us while she was the outsider never weakened. Tara was always the first mouse up in the morning as she still tended to frequently sleep alone and always popped out when called -- "Tara, Tara, Mouse, Mouse" always brought forth her sweet face and then she'd scurry over to visit me and have a Cheerio all to herself.

It broke my heart beyond belief when she passed last November at about 16 months old. As it turned out, Tara was actually the linchpin of the quintet as the dynamics of the now-quartet radically altered after her passing -- they were far more "every mouse for herself" than a close colony. When Buffy passed a month after Tara, it was as if the girls didn't even notice. After Willow passed in April, Anya and Cordelia lived as virtual strangers in the tank, never sleeping together or snuggling. Cordelia is a sweet mouse and is, frankly, my last link to my beloved Tara.

Tara the day after she came home
My heart mice... Myshkas037_zps4bfa7a86

Being very cute
My heart mice... 017_zpsvoqx2ec5

Always Exploring (that's her sister Cordelia on the bottom right)
My heart mice... 104_zpspodnpwzo

Looking Lovely While Exercising
My heart mice... 027_zpsaer0vawt

My favorite pic of Tara. She only had a few chances to enjoy this fleecy strawberry as Anya and Buffy destroyed it (while Tara was in it!) once they realized she liked it.
My heart mice... Myshkas060_zpscfac66c4

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 20 Jun 2016, 3:46 pm

On my phone with the tiny pictures, it looks like tara had a bald head, lol. Upon zooming in, there she is, cute as a button! Heartbreakers, these mice!

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:45 am

Aaw what cuties Daryl and Tara were Smile

for some reason the "looking lovely while exercising" caption made me giggle Laughing

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down