Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby ASF photos

5 posters

Go down

Baby ASF photos Empty Baby ASF photos

Post by Sam Fri 14 Sep 2018, 1:45 am

There are a few different ages here. Right now they're nearly three weeks old and their eyes opened yesterday. In total there are eleven babies, six girls and five boys. Five are the typical brown with white markings, three are tan with red eyes, two speckled white with gray and one all brown. I'll be keeping the two gray babies and a tan girl, so I'll have four of each sex for rehoming. Probably, at least. I have space to keep all of them but it would be tight and I wouldn't be able to handle them all like I should.

Baby ASF photos 20180913
Baby ASF photos 20180914
Baby ASF photos 20180915

Walk  Mice: Ramen, Gadget, Cricket, Perry, Marvel, Jeepers, Cheese Stick, Brannigan, Pigeon, Missy, Darla Tail FlipASFs: Quil, Merv, Scant, Corvus, Rocket, Beetle, Otter, Koala, Tamarack, Popple, Conifer Tail Flip Cockatiel: Holly WalkGerbils: Kala, Everest, and Mak Walk
Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

M O U S E likes this post

Back to top Go down

Baby ASF photos Empty Re: Baby ASF photos

Post by CallaLily Fri 14 Sep 2018, 6:34 am

Awww they’re super cute! Heart

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:19 am

Aww! So glad you finally got around to making this thread. Very Happy What little sweeties. Love Keep us updated on them weekly if possible, please... because I just got a baby ASF rat at a pet store yesterday, and am curious how old it is, but I'm guessing she's around a month, but should have a better guess on pictures of yours at different ages. Very Happy

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri 14 Sep 2018, 2:51 pm

I'll try to keep this updated as well as I can, but I'm much more diligent about posting on my insta @ sam_and_their_pets if you're interested Very Happy

If you can get a clear photo of your new baby I could definitely guess their age. I attached photos of my original ASFs at just under and almost exactly two months of age. Compared to other rodents they grow very slowly. My boy is over five months old and still just 52 grams, compared to bucks I've seen weighing 100 and looking just a little chunky
Baby ASF photos 20180916
Baby ASF photos 20180917

Walk  Mice: Ramen, Gadget, Cricket, Perry, Marvel, Jeepers, Cheese Stick, Brannigan, Pigeon, Missy, Darla Tail FlipASFs: Quil, Merv, Scant, Corvus, Rocket, Beetle, Otter, Koala, Tamarack, Popple, Conifer Tail Flip Cockatiel: Holly WalkGerbils: Kala, Everest, and Mak Walk
Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Sun 16 Sep 2018, 12:50 am

My Natalie was the size of an adult mouse when I first got her...but within a little while, she quickly surpassed my girls in size! She's almost the size of a gerbil (I don't know if the gerbil had any more growing to do or not, but if so, then not much).

Thanks for sharing the photos! Very Happy I do not have an instagram account, though. ;-)
Your natal mice are beautiful. Love Mine are the most common looking, with Natalie even a bit dull looking, in my opinion.

Okay, so based on those pictures, I know my new baby girl is well over three weeks, and WELLL under two months. I may even stick to my guess of her being about a month-old at this time, but still want to see weekly progress of your babies, so I have a better 'educated' guess. Very Happy

Here's a picture of the baby in my hand, then Natalie in my hand, and then Natty and the baby together, so you can see the size difference. Do you have any guesses?

Baby ASF photos S110
Baby ASF photos S210
Baby ASF photos S310

I know it doesn't really matter, though...I'm just curious. She's still loveable whether I know her exact age or not, and that wouldn't change anything. Heart I've also never owned any type of rodent this young-looking (or small, for that matter).

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun 16 Sep 2018, 1:02 am

Good guess, mines about the same! 3 1/2 - 4 weeks. My babies are looking pretty similar, just a tiny bit smaller. I'm amazed how huge their feet are compared to their body size.

And just a little update: I'm having trouble finding when I should wean them, so I took them out in their future bin cage today and watched to see if any ate or drank from the bottle. They just wanted to nap, of course. I asked a (feeder) breeder when to wean and he replied 15-21 days, tomorrow being the latter date. I don't think I should wean them at this point so I'll wait and see. I did find an old post on a reptile forum saying 3-4 weeks, removing larger pups first so smaller ones can nurse. I agree much more with that so hopefully all goes well! It'll mostly depend on what I'm seeing. They mature so slowly that I'm in no rush to get the boys seperate. My gray guy is the most friendly and that's great, as I'll be keeping him with my most skittish mouse. Hopefully he'll help her become more freindly

Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun 16 Sep 2018, 1:10 am

Oh and of course I forgot, I managed to get a couple more photos. They'll be three weeks old tomorrow, and they're definitely hoppers!
Baby ASF photos 20180920
Baby ASF photos 20180921

Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 16 Sep 2018, 7:04 pm

Oh my goodness! I was just saying all the baby pictures around here make me miss babies. Now MORE babies. Heart Eyes Very irresistibly cute.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Sun 16 Sep 2018, 11:22 pm

So cute!

Thanks, Sam. Very Happy I'm definitely guessing my baby's no older than six weeks, and not younger than 3-and-a-half-weeks, if even that young. :-)

Really, I'd imagine weaning them at the normal age for normal mice babies to be weaned at would be fine; or at least right before they hit sexual maturity. 2 Cents

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Beachhouse2000 Sun 16 Sep 2018, 11:30 pm

So..... soft..... So..... Cute..... I NEED THEM!!!! Gaah Gaah Gaah

i REALY want some mice! Or just one... Wink
Beachhouse2000
Beachhouse2000

Angelic

http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/user/48096-beachhouse2000/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue 09 Oct 2018, 5:30 pm

Babies have been fully weaned for a while now, and I'm definitely seeing different personalities pop up. The guy in the photos is Koala, and is one of the two males I'm keeping.

Also, I was at a thrift shop the other day and found an amazing cage for six dollars! The hide house it came with was worth eight dollars alone. It is tall for lots of levels and climbing, has three huge doors and is just six square inches less than my twenty gallon bin cages! Very Happy It's a little shallow though, so I'll try to make him a burrow box for digging. I think it'll be perfect for Beetle, the other boy I'm keeping. He's very friendly, so chances are I'll leave him alone and handle him lots. If not I can probably get him a mouse friend Smile

Baby ASF photos Img_2010
Baby ASF photos Img_2011

Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by Beachhouse2000 Sun 28 Oct 2018, 8:45 pm

AWw koala is so cute Very Happy

i REALY want some mice! Or just one... Wink
Beachhouse2000
Beachhouse2000