Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Cages for 2-3 Mice Under $90 (And other cage related Qs)

4 posters

Go down

Good Cages for 2-3 Mice Under $90 (And other cage related Qs) Empty Good Cages for 2-3 Mice Under $90 (And other cage related Qs)

Post by HeyImSomeone Sat 15 Sep 2018, 10:10 pm

So, I want to get mice and I have been doing TONS of research and of course, I have a few questions.

1- I keep seeing different answers, can female mice be kept in pairs? OR are trios better?

2- Is a 20 gallon acceptable for a trio? If not a duo?

3- Are there any cages (Other than bin cages) You would reccommend that are under $90 IN THE USA that would be okay for a trio or duo?

HeyImSomeone

Back to top Go down

Good Cages for 2-3 Mice Under $90 (And other cage related Qs) Empty Re: Good Cages for 2-3 Mice Under $90 (And other cage related Qs)

Post by Blessed Sun 16 Sep 2018, 12:27 am

Hello. It's great of you to join us, and I hope you love becoming a mouse owner, Lord be willing. Smile

1. In my opinion, two female mice are fine...I've kept two before, as well as three (and at least with even just two, they still have each other.... An only mouse is a lonely mouse, in my opinion). Trios are always recommended by everybody else, but I don't think that's super necessary; it is preferred to not keep over six in one tank, though. Other than that, keep as many or as few as you want.

2. A twenty-gallon long is just fine for two or three. A tank that size, according to the Humane Association website (which I go off of, instead of the recommended minimum on this forum) is actually suitable for up to six mice, but no more than that. :-)

3. Yes. You can look on Amazon for cages, tanks, or whatever, and in pet stores (PetSmart and Petco would be good choices), and online with the pet stores. Although cages or tanks can be costly, it's rare for most of them to be over $70, probably. $25 to $45 is probably the average roundabout price for wire cages, but I'd recommend a tank, as mice are escape artists. If you're looking at getting two or three females, as it sounds like you are, then a ten-gallon would work, too. And you know, once in a while pet stores will have a sale on tanks for $1 per gallon... so for a 10-gallon, it would be $10, a 20-gallon $20, etc. So always keep an eye out for those steal prices. Very Happy Otherwise, a 10-gallon tank might be around $25.

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Good Cages for 2-3 Mice Under $90 (And other cage related Qs) Empty Re: Good Cages for 2-3 Mice Under $90 (And other cage related Qs)

Post by HeyImSomeone Sun 16 Sep 2018, 10:22 am

Thanks!

HeyImSomeone

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 16 Sep 2018, 5:17 pm

1) The reason many here recommend three or more females in a group is because a) it balances the group dynamics better, so there isn’t one mouse taking the full attention of the dominant mouse at all times and b) if one mouse suddenly passes, you’re not left with one very lonely girl. So definitely a trio is better than a duo in my opinion.

2) A 20 gallon long (30”x12”) is an acceptable size for a trio. Once your mice settle in and bond well, you may find they’d appreciate more space. It depends on the mice.

3) I prefer tanks over cages. Mainly because you can usually get a lot more space for much less, especially if you watch second hand shops/pages for good deals. And no worry over bar spacing, which is the biggest issue with most cages sold. Mice can slip through such a small space. You’re looking for 1/4 inch bar spacing preferably but for adult mice I believe 3/8 inches works ok too.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 16 Sep 2018, 6:53 pm

I second CallaLily! Here's a link to our cage calculator. It provides minimum starting guidelines if you happen across measurements. The maximum we suggest keeping in a 20 is 4-5.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/portal

This cage is about the size of a 10 gallon. The spacing is perfect for mice and it's under $90. The most I'd put in here is 3.
Amazon's Ferplast Hamster Cage
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down