Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood in urine

3 posters

Go down

Blood in urine Empty Blood in urine

Post by Babyelijah3 Fri 23 Nov 2018, 12:37 am

Okay so, i raised my pet vole from when he was just a tiny baby with closed eyes.
He’s a special one. Two days ago i did a cage clean. He jumped out of his cage and was heading for the open door. Now i have some eager cats and dogs who would love to catch a little vole. Naturally, i got scared. I ran to him try to very quickly pick him up he was trying to struggle out of my hand and tried to escape through the door once more so i picked him up and squeezed him very hard in order for him to not escape. I instantly felt bad for handeling him so freaking rough. Cuz im always overly protective of him and handel him very gently. So much so that many other people are like “you can just grab him a little firmer he’ll be fine!” But i never wanted that. Which is the reason he often slips out of my hand cuz i dont wanna make him uncomfortable by squeezing him.
But life hates me.. i squeeze him once too hard... and he has blood in his urine... i figure thats pretty bad... he plays, eats, drinks just fine still. I feel so bad.. i hate myself
Babyelijah3
Babyelijah3

Back to top Go down

Blood in urine Empty Re: Blood in urine

Post by chiroptera Sat 24 Nov 2018, 2:13 am

Was it a one time occurrence that you saw blood in his urine, or is it every time he urinates?

I would strongly suggest taking him to the vet as soon as you can, it could be something serious.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Sat 24 Nov 2018, 3:43 pm

This isn't intended to scare you -- only to prepare you.

A blood-tinged stain in my precious April's sleeping spot, followed by another smaller leak later in the day, marked the beginning of a really intense two weeks that ended when April departed for Mousie Heaven last year.

Even though I suggested an internal injury, her doctor seemed to really have no way of pinpointing the source of the bleed, or to have no interest in trying to. Exploratory surgery on a mouse? In what world does that happen? Especially when the bloody leakage was already stopped. The vet office was in no hurry to get her in, even. We ended up leaving her appointment with some antibiotics that, after three days or so, April absolutely refused to have anything to do with, no matter what tricks I tried.

During the days, April was relatively like her normal self, although not eating as much as before, and sleeping more and more. At night, though ... the nights were living nightmares. Every night I'd have to stay up until about 2am, as April seemed to agonize with every breath, wouldn't take any food or drink, and lay still as though she was ready to release her little mousie soul any second. I'd doze off with the alarm clock set to wake me in an hour. Then after checking her and spending some comfort time and trying to get her to eat or drink again, I'd doze off with the alarm clock set for another hour later. Et cetera.

Then the sun would begin to brighten the sky sometime before 5 o'clock, and the nightmare would begin to fade. April would breathe easier, fall asleep comfortably, and eventually wake up and take a Cheerio for breakfast. Meanwhile, I had to wake up and start getting ready for work.

But even those encouraging signs began to fade, as she lost weight and began to need me to finish her grooming efforts so she'd look clean and fluffy. Finally, while washing her one evening, I saw dark patches on her abdomen, which confirmed internal bleeding. I got a rush vet appointment the next day, but the doctor we saw that time told me what I already knew. April lasted about six more hours, during which I took her back to the place she had known as home when I first got her, so she could smell the familiar smells we had been forced to leave due to an unexpected office move. I sang her the mousie songs I'd made up to sing so she'd know I was nearby when we were driving, or when I was busy working and couldn't bring her out to play in my shirt right at that moment. I set some pieces of cinnamon bread near where she rested on my leg that evening, as I dried her off from her last bath -- how she loved the smell of cinnamon! She even made an effort to nibble on it.

I suspected this all began because April had been squeezing into tighter spots inside my sports top, and had somehow developed a way of moving from one spot to another without me noticing. I figured she had just gotten a little too much pressure some time, and I had no idea. It could have happened any time in those last few months, or it could have happened the night before she leaked blood, but I'm pretty sure that it did happen.

Now, as a little wild critter, maybe your little vole will pull through this just fine. There's no way to tell, and you may not be able to take a vole to a vet office for help, due to regulations about keeping wildlife. Just watch the little guy, make sure he has plenty of access to food and water and that he seems to be eating and drinking and sleeping and moving around normally, and hope that he is strong enough to recover from whatever went wrong.

And if things do not work out with a happy ending, I won't lie to you: It could bring you pain that will seem like it will never end. But you have to keep going, one day after another.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down