Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blood in the eye socket? Maybe? Need help... again :(

3 posters

Go down

Blood in the eye socket? Maybe? Need help... again :( Empty Blood in the eye socket? Maybe? Need help... again :(

Post by M O U S E Mon 21 Dec 2020, 3:06 pm

So here is yet another post about my girl, Roisin's, eye.

Here are the last few just in case someone wants to look back on it. I'm pretty sure these are in order (top to bottom). Again, I thank everyone for the help they've given me.
Mouse has a smaller/squinted eye?
Watery eye? Getting worse - HELP!
Can I use a homemade saline solution for this?
URGENT!
Vet Costs?

She has had eye issues for a while now. It started as just having a smaller, squinted looking eye, progressed to being watery, then to having a tiny bit of pus, and lots of scratching. I began using saline eye drops to help.

So about three days ago, I saw something new(ish I guess) going on with Roisin's eye. It almost looks as if her eye is just coated in blood. Like, her eye ball, not the area around her eye. I gave her a drop of store bought saline solution, and dabbed it off. It looked a little better, but it's hard to clean her eye. She hates it. The next day all the way up until now there's been what looks like blood in her eye socket. A little red crusting around the inner part of her lower eyelid too.

Another detail I want to mention is that the skin around her eye is noticeably pink and irritated. It looks like maybe her lower eyelid (don't know about the upper eyelid) is a little swollen. Also, her eye was doing better before this. It was still watery, her eyelid was still puffy, and her skin was still red, but she was opening her eye better and there were no more bloody eye incidents that I saw.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Last edited by M O U S E on Tue 22 Dec 2020, 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : describing the progression of her eye)

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Blood in the eye socket? Maybe? Need help... again :( Empty Re: Blood in the eye socket? Maybe? Need help... again :(

Post by Dee67 Mon 21 Dec 2020, 7:55 pm

Could Roisin have accidentally poked herself in the eye with a piece of hay or something similar?

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Blood in the eye socket? Maybe? Need help... again :( Empty Re: Blood in the eye socket? Maybe? Need help... again :(

Post by AmyLynn Mon 21 Dec 2020, 10:16 pm

Many rodent have a gland that produces a red blood like lubricant for the eye and often leaves what looks like a crusty bloody eye. However, it's not blood at all. Bellow is an article about by a vet. I would by some eye wash for pets online like Vetericyn. It is safe for mice use. I will include the Amazon link for that bellow as well. I would clean out the eye and if it gets worse contact a vet for an antibiotic.

Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial All Animal Eye Wash, https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004QWZHOC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_-ix4FbJKJGHJD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Post by vet
https://hayvets.co.uk/runny-eyes-in-rodents-do-they-need-to-see-a-vet/#:~:text=Rats%20have%20glands%20(Harderian%20Glands,This%20is%20called%20Chromodacryorrhea.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Tue 22 Dec 2020, 7:43 am

AmyLynn wrote:Many rodent have a gland that produces a red blood like lubricant for the eye and often leaves what looks like a crusty bloody eye. However, it's not blood at all. Bellow is an article about by a vet. I would by some eye wash for pets online like Vetericyn. It is safe for mice use. I will include the Amazon link for that bellow as well. I would clean out the eye and if it gets worse contact a vet for an antibiotic.

Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial All Animal Eye Wash, https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004QWZHOC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_-ix4FbJKJGHJD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Post by vet
https://hayvets.co.uk/runny-eyes-in-rodents-do-they-need-to-see-a-vet/#:~:text=Rats%20have%20glands%20(Harderian%20Glands,This%20is%20called%20Chromodacryorrhea.
I've thought of the possibility that it's porphyrin and not blood, however there was a little bit of controversy over whether or not mice produce it in one of my other topics. I've also looked up porphyrin in mice, and the only thing that ever comes up is porphyrin in mice. I'll look into Vetericyn, and thank you for the link.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Tue 22 Dec 2020, 7:45 am

Dee67 wrote:Could Roisin have accidentally poked herself in the eye with a piece of hay or something similar?
Probably. I thought about using Neosporin on her eye in case that is what this is, as it was recommended by another member on one of my other topics.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Mon 28 Dec 2020, 9:37 am

So, recently she's been scratching her eye a lot. Every time I see her, her eye is covered in bright red blood. Her lower eyelid is swollen, and even looks like it could be inside out. I may ask my mom about taking her to a vet again, although last time she said no.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Peachy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down