Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You & Me Small Animal High Rise Tank Topper: Can't Contain Mice

2 posters

Go down

You & Me Small Animal High Rise Tank Topper: Can't Contain Mice Empty You & Me Small Animal High Rise Tank Topper: Can't Contain Mice

Post by lizardtails Wed 20 Feb 2019, 5:43 am

So, I wound up buying this tank topper because it's the one Petco sells, and since I work at Petco, that meant I got it at a nice discount. At the time I first looked it up, I noticed there was s review on the website by a person stating they had a mouse escape it, but since it was the only review saying as much, I assumed they specifically got a defective product.

Well, as soon as I added it to my girls' tank, I noticed that two of them in particular--Ignis and Prompto--were really dedicated to climbing sll over the ceiling and shoving their nosey lil faces into every possibly gap. Rolling Eyes I started worrying about a possible escape, and so would remove the tank topper each night when I went to bed and only attach it again when I could stay and supervise their play in it, but they could never quite seem to fit their ears through, so after a few days I started relaxing.

Well, last night I looked up to watch Prompto climb around on the walls of the cage, when I suddenly realized--she was on the outside of the bars! Shocked Luckily, she was unable to get down from the tank, and I was able to scoop her up with little trouble, but boy she gave me a fright!

Overall, I like the design of the Y&M Tank Topper--i like the size of the platforms in it, for example--but it's not exactly designed with mice in mind, I thinking, or perhaps whoever designed it didn't know just how small a gap mice can squeeze through. The roof of the cage hooks onto the walls through these gaps, and even when all put together, those gaps are bigvenough for a lil mousey hesd to wiggle through. Additionally, despite me liking it, it never really sat right atop my 10 gal tank. I'd give it three stars outta five; it'd probably work great for a hamster as long as it was bigger than my mice.

lizardtails
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

You & Me Small Animal High Rise Tank Topper: Can't Contain Mice Empty Re: You & Me Small Animal High Rise Tank Topper: Can't Contain Mice

Post by MouseLover Wed 20 Feb 2019, 6:49 am

Oops Shocked thank goodness you were around to witness the escape lol.

Does it state the bar spacing anywhere on the package? Generally speaking you want something with 8mm bar spacing at the biggest, but with younger or particularly small mice, you want it even smaller. I have a barred cage, but the bar spacing is around 6.5mm (about a quarter of an inch) which is considered the ideal bar-spacing for mice.

Will they let you return it? If not, you may still be able to get use out of it if you put some wire mesh on the outside? I've seen people do that with cages where the bar spacing is too wide.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

You & Me Small Animal High Rise Tank Topper: Can't Contain Mice Empty Re: You & Me Small Animal High Rise Tank Topper: Can't Contain Mice

Post by lizardtails Wed 20 Feb 2019, 8:38 am

I don't know the bar spacing, but it's definitely a small size--she didn't get out between the bars or anything. Rather, the problems is thst near the roof of the cage, there are a half dozen or so little... windows, I guess? That are where the hooks go through to lock the roof in place atop the walls. And those windiws in the bars are big enough that a stubborn enough mouse can wiggle her way out!

lizardtails
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down