Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Un Tame mouse

2 posters

Go down

Un Tame mouse Empty Un Tame mouse

Post by Shadowrose1 Tue 02 Apr 2019, 8:24 pm

I have no previous experience with mice. (butI have experience with guinea pigs in fact I have three) my friend had a mouse for a year but she never paying attention to it. so I offered to take him in I don’t think she ever handled him because he’s super skittish. he’s been at my house for over two months and Darts at every shadow. I’ve tried putting my hand in there. he’s been at my house for months but is still so skittish she said she got him for Christmas in 2017. she probably lost interest after week and neglected him Ever since. She’s not actually my friend but my mom’s work friends daughter. love animals so whenever I heard of a mouse being potentially neglected I had to step in. but my question is can he ever became tame will he always be so skittish.  feel I am making no progress. taming guinea pigs never been this hard. I just impatient or is there no hope for this mouse. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Shadowrose1

Back to top Go down

Un Tame mouse Empty Re: Un Tame mouse

Post by CallaLily Wed 03 Apr 2019, 4:36 pm

There is still hope. Smile It just may require a lot of patience on your part. I find gently transferring the mouse over to a safe, neutral play space works better than trying to tame them in their cage. You can use a box or tube to move them over until they’re more used to you. You just gotta keep it up. It helps to take them out daily around the same time. Leave treats for them to find in their cage for when you put them back. They learn to expect it. More info on taming here.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Un Tame mouse Empty I don’t know what to do

Post by Shadowrose1 Wed 03 Apr 2019, 8:14 pm

I took them out put him in the bathtub and sat in there with him For over an hourAll the poor thing did was sit there hunched over eyes squintedShaking I literally thought he Was going to have a heart attack I don’t know what to do I don’t think I can do this myself I think I need help but I don’t know what to do I don’t know anything about mice if he was a guinea pig I would know what to do but he’s Not The poor thing I don’t know what to do sorry I’m crying right now that he was so scared do I need to give Up I mean I knew it was gonna take long but the Poor thing even though I don’t anything about Mice even I knew he was terrified it literally thought I was gonna eat it or something and I thought Hewas gonna get better but an hour went Bye maybe longer He refused to move even when I tryed to touch him he was shaking so bad I Felt so sorry for him What do I do I put him back in his cage He Hasn’t Come out of the tube yetI feel so bad I think I’ve managed to make it worse

Shadowrose1

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 03 Apr 2019, 9:01 pm

Did you have toys and hides in the tub?  They really don’t do well at all with wide open spaces.

Also, when I say you’ll need a lot of patience, I’m not talking about just in one sitting. It’s going to take many sessions over the course of weeks or maybe even months of calm, gentle interaction (always on his terms, don’t force it by grabbing or chasing).  It would probably be best to start with shorter sessions and work up to longer ones over time. Make sure he has water available and like I said, lots of toys and hides so he feels secure.

Also keep in mind that some mice never do come around to being held or petted like a guinea pig might, instead preferring to interact with you nearby as they run around and play.  Using you more like another toy that they climb on and off of.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down