Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random nipping of a tame mouse - help

3 posters

Go down

Random nipping of a tame mouse - help Empty Random nipping of a tame mouse - help

Post by Caligirl Sun 31 Jan 2021, 1:39 am

Hi all,

I got the most adorable agile little boy - about 4 months old now and I have a problem with occasional nipping. He was very bold and trusting from the get-go but after about a month (I got him almost 3 months) he started to nip randomly for no apparent reason. Also in the last four weeks when I have him outside on the couch when he runs up the backrest as an indicator to go back into his house (which is next to the couch) when goes on my hand to be lifted back into his house (usually he does that when he wants to drink or run in the wheel) he would hold my finger with his front paws when I sit him down and then nips on my fingers, sometimes pretty hard. I had other mice and gerbils before but this has never happened before. I'm a bit puzzled by this and I don't know how to read this behavior.

Any advice why he's doing that? I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks Smile

Caligirl

Back to top Go down

Random nipping of a tame mouse - help Empty Re: Random nipping of a tame mouse - help

Post by River Sun 31 Jan 2021, 2:14 am

It could be a variety of things. I have this happen pretty often if I hand-feed treats too much. Laughing 

Cal also did this when I first brought him home to let me know when he wanted to go back in his enclosure. I started squeaking as a response (letting him know it hurt), and he cut it out. 

Other than that all I can think of is making sure he's not stressed and wash your hands if you've been touching food. Smile
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Caligirl and SarahAdams like this post

Back to top Go down

Random nipping of a tame mouse - help Empty Re: Random nipping of a tame mouse - help

Post by ApricotWinter Mon 01 Feb 2021, 12:37 pm

Hmmmm. I have had a similar issue with one of my previous does. (R.I.P Pebble) I would make sure that your fingers do not smell like food, human or otherwise, like @River said. Also, do not poke at them. IF you are poking, rubbing, or touching them in a way they do not like. They may bite you to say "Hey! Back off!" NEVER put your mouse down,(As tempting as it may seem) or give them a treat right after they bite you. When you set them down or give them a treat you are telling them that biting is a behavior that will get them what they want.
ApricotWinter
ApricotWinter

Libra

River and Caligirl like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caligirl Tue 02 Feb 2021, 12:42 am

Thanks for the suggestions @River and @ApricotWinter I always wash my hands, so I'm not sure if he's smelling something or if it's something else. What is weird is that he does it after I bring him back into his enclosure (which he clearly wants) - he's literally grabbing my finger with both paws and lunges as he wants to bite. I usually pull away and say "no." The last few days I'm putting him back by letting him climb into a little pouch. @ApricotWinter- you mean I shouldn't put him down after nipping? Wouldn't he think it's ok to nip if I keep him on my hand?

Caligirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down