Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Infected Belly Button on Baby Mouse

3 posters

Go down

Infected Belly Button on Baby Mouse Empty Infected Belly Button on Baby Mouse

Post by Aizui Thu 06 Jun 2019, 7:50 pm

Is this an infected belly button on a baby mouse? Should this be popped drained and treated with antibiotics or wound healing medicine like Vetericyn? Has anyone seen this?
Infected Belly Button on Baby Mouse 33d9mjb

Back to top Go down

Infected Belly Button on Baby Mouse Empty Re: Infected Belly Button on Baby Mouse

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 07 Jun 2019, 7:59 am

Just from looking at the picture, my concern about lancing that swelling is, what if it is actually a hernia, and the color of it is due to milk trapped in herniated intestine.  You definitely do not want to puncture intestine.  Punctured or not, a herniated intestine can be a very serious condition, or can quickly become one if it is not already.

Infection usually first signals itself as pinker or redder skin than usual, and general swelling.  Did you notice any in the last few days?  A pus pocket would develop later in the infection process. Even then, a pus pocket does not necessarily indicate that the infection is resolving -- only that the by-products of infection have found a space to accumulate in.

To be on the safe side, I would take this little one to a veterinarian without delay.  Whether it is an infection or a hernia, it is better to have professional eyes and hands on the case.  That's my opinion, based on the picture you posted.

Keep us updated. We care.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Infected Belly Button on Baby Mouse Empty Re: Infected Belly Button on Baby Mouse

Post by CallaLily Fri 07 Jun 2019, 8:28 pm

I agree. Please speak with your vet about this little one. I hope all goes well. Group Hug

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Aizui Fri 07 Jun 2019, 9:45 pm

Update It ended up being an infection. I was able to determine this and went along with the laceration process. Afterward, she was treated with microbial hydrogel and returned to the mother. Today I looked at her belly and the previous hole has closed and there is no more redness. Her belly button is looking perfect for a late-developing pup. The area looks 100% the same as the others in her litter did before it disappeared altogether. Thank you so much for all your concern and I'll keep everyone informed. I will post a picture once my husband comes home to help me take it. At this age, all the babies are super squirmy!

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 10 Jun 2019, 11:43 am

I’m glad to hear she’s doing better! Jump Hearts

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 12 Jun 2019, 8:43 am

SUCCESS!! It's always good when a problem can be fixed so (relatively) easily. Let us know which hydrogel product you used, so we can keep it in mind for our own small mammal first aid kits.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down