Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Switched her food! Results are in!

3 posters

Go down

Switched her food! Results are in! Empty Switched her food! Results are in!

Post by FurBabies@732 Sat 03 Aug 2019, 4:56 am

Hi there! So for those that may not know, I have a single female mouse named Zoey. She cannot be with other mice so please don't think I am a bad furmom. Anyway for the past few days I noticed Zoey's food bowl has stayed completely full! At first I took a small but of it and spread it around her cage. That way she has fun tryung to find it. That worked for 1 day. I got her a "fiesta" food which has many different things in it such as: seeds and grains. I have switched her to Oxbow blocks. I was told by my animal leader that Oxbow blocks are one of the best and she has never had a mouse/rat/hamster turn it down. I didn't get my hopes up because Zoey is completely opposite of other mice but I'll be darned! When I woke up thus morning her bowl was empty! Don't get me wrong, there were some small pieces next to the bowl but it was more like left over crumbs. Anyone else feed their babies Oxbow?

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Switched her food! Results are in! Empty Re: Switched her food! Results are in!

Post by Robin~ Sat 03 Aug 2019, 3:00 pm

Oxbow is ok but really not the best. Mice don't really like eating hay anyhow, so I can't imagine how they'd do with it in a pellet Razz

I like using parakeet food. Sunseed Vita Prima is my go to buy Vitakraft VitaSmart parakeet is good too.

Side note: Ok, leader person who recommended Oxbow, the hamster/mouse won't starve themself. They'll eat it. Doesn't mean they like it.
But, Oxbow is ok for rats Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 03 Aug 2019, 3:17 pm

Please be careful as from what I’ve read in the pet mouse community, many mice have failed to thrive when fed Oxbow Mouse Food alone. Please consider supplementing a good seed mix and of course fresh veg at least a couple times a week.
http://www.petmousefanciers.com/t15-mouse-diet

It’s odd that your mouse wasn’t eating a seed mix. Usually it’s a complaint of the opposite or that they’re only picking out favorites. Are you sure what was in the dish was uneaten seeds and grains or was it mostly the empty hulls and shells?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by FurBabies@732 Tue 06 Aug 2019, 6:59 pm

I don't only feed her pellets. 3 times a week she gets veggies/fruits. Her bowl was 100% not touched with the festia. No empty seed shells or anything.

Zoey LOVES these oxbow pellets and im afraid to switch her food again. Not sure if this will upset her stomach. Im not sure how to feel about feeder her parakeet food. My cousin did this for her fancy mouse but it gave her diarrhea

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Wed 07 Aug 2019, 8:56 am

FurBabies@732 wrote:I don't only feed her pellets. 3 times a week she gets veggies/fruits. Her bowl was 100% not touched with the festia. No empty seed shells or anything.

Zoey LOVES these oxbow pellets and im afraid to switch her food again. Not sure if this will upset her stomach. Im not sure how to feel about feeder her parakeet food. My cousin did this for her fancy mouse but it gave her diarrhea

Feeding veggies are a nice addition (actually required IMO) but don't substitute for variety in the main diet.

But seriously, would you rather have your mouse die of malnutrition that they -might- like (keep in mind you can't read her mind nor ask her; mice won't starve themselves or refuse to eat unless there's a health issue) or give her a food that provides proper nutrition and variety?

Your cousin's mouse likely got diarrhea due to other factors. Switching the diet may be one, but other factors like veggie intake, how quickly the diet was switched to, etc.. It was likely not due to the food itself.
Transitioning your diet may be best due to how much her diet has changed recently, but getting her off Oxbow pellets ASAP is best.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by FurBabies@732 Thu 08 Aug 2019, 4:07 pm

Thank you. I will start looking at alternatives

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down