Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First-time mouse owner — tips and questions

3 posters

Go down

First-time mouse owner — tips and questions Empty First-time mouse owner — tips and questions

Post by Graceeh Sun 04 Aug 2019, 1:40 am

Hi all! I’m a first-time mouse owner and just wanted to clarify a few things and make sure my setup and care-taking methods are correct.

A few questions:
1. How do you know the difference between a feeder mouse and a fancy mouse?
2. How can you tell how old your mouse is?
3. When is a mouse full-grown?
4. What is the best deodorizer?

This is my set-up at the moment:
- 10 gal glass tank for two female mice, Sybil and Opal
- Aspen bedding, a wheel, a wooden bridge/tunnel, a hiding hut, a food bowl, a water bottle, a chewing toy
- feeding them Oxford Essentials Adult Rat Food and supplementing with Vitakraft vitasmart parakeet food

Is this okay? I plan to upgrade their tank, this was kind of just a starter. Just making sure this all looks good.

Graceeh

Back to top Go down

First-time mouse owner — tips and questions Empty Re: First-time mouse owner — tips and questions

Post by Robin~ Sun 04 Aug 2019, 8:53 am

Hello!

1. I don't believe there's a difference other than the purpose they were bred for. They're the same species and everything Smile

2. There's not much a of a tell-tale way to know. Sorry!

3. (I don't know myself actually..)

4. I personally don't like using deodorizers as mice have sensitive respiratory systems. But, just staying on top of cleaning and having a large, well-ventilated enclosure helps a lot.

As for your general set up, a 10g can work ok to start. However, if you notice your girls are getting bored or the cage starts stinking up very quickly, an upgrade would be a good idea. Going for a 20g or bin cage (110qt bin, 50gal bin, etc.) would be nice options.
Aspen is ok but can be very dusty, so I'd keep an eye out for sneezing and change to a dust-free paper bedding if need be.
As for your set up, it's hard to tell without a picture, but your cage should be packed. Everywhere your mice look there should be something to do, and it should be hard to see the bedding from above. Using "junk" from your house, such as boxes, cardboard, paper towel roll tubes, toilet paper roll tubes, (washed) plastic containers, cardboard cup holders (like from McDonald's), etc. can really help fill your cage Smile Also, be sure the wheel is at least 8" in diameter and not barred.
As for food, I would only do the parakeet food. From what I can see the rat food is a little high in protein (you should stay towards 12-13%, but 14% is ok), and I'm sure your girls don't prefer eating the pellets anyways Razz

On another note, it may be a good idea to get another girl or two when you upgrade. That way when one girl passes, the other one isn't left without a friend while the new mice are in quarantine (which should last at least a month or two).

Other than that, it sounds like you're doing a good job so far!
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

First-time mouse owner — tips and questions Empty Re: First-time mouse owner — tips and questions

Post by Graceeh Sun 04 Aug 2019, 11:20 am

Thanks for the feedback! I wasn’t actually aware that new mice would need to be quarantined...I got these girls yesterday, if I got them a third companion today, would I need to do keep her quarantined?

Graceeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sun 04 Aug 2019, 7:34 pm

Graceeh wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I wasn’t actually aware that new mice would need to be quarantined...I got these girls yesterday, if I got them a third companion today, would I need to do keep her quarantined?

Yes, the new girl would have to be quarantined for that 1-2 month time frame. It may be wise to get two new girls so they won't stay solo.

Also be sure to read up on how to introduce girls together; it's a bit harder than plopping them in the same cages after qt. Wink
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 07 Aug 2019, 4:50 pm

Graceeh wrote:3. When is a mouse full-grown?

According to this post.
Complete Physical Maturity: Mice are not done growing until they are between 3 and 5 months of age, depending on the line.

Cool

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down