Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Night Shift Companion

4 posters

Go down

Night Shift Companion  Empty Night Shift Companion

Post by Sparrow Tue 20 Aug 2019, 1:54 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to share a little story about my little male mouse Spencer. I work day and night shifts as a social care worker, at night time I'm minding a 92 year old lady who has early stage dementia. I am mainly there to ensure that she doesn't harm herself throughout the night, as people with dementia are prone to waking up and doing things that normally they wouldn't do.

Anyways, so over the last few weeks I realised that since I have to stay awake on my own at nighttime, I might as well try to turn one of my boys into a work companion.

Yesterday I took him to work as a trial and it was the best thing I could have done. Spencer was just chilling on my shoulder or in my pocket while I watched some YouTube or read my book and when I had to go and check up on my client he would just hang out in his travel cage (pet store cage that I filled to the brim with various toys).

One of the reasons I chose to bring Spencer with me is because in the past month we have been battling him over grooming himself out of boredom. I started to change out his cage and toys every 2-3 days and that seemed to help for a while but over the past few weeks even that is failing us. Giving him plenty of attention and out of cage time seems to be the best solution and now we have hours with each other a night.

We are both kept happy with this arrangement, and while I'm aware that moving him around so much might not be ideal, my little boy doesn't seem to mind all that much, as long as he is given attention he is happy out Smile
Sparrow
Sparrow

Chatty

Back to top Go down

Night Shift Companion  Empty Re: Night Shift Companion

Post by Zoeyml Wed 28 Aug 2019, 12:18 am

thats such a cute mouse! I hope I build trust with mine where they are that comfortable with me Giggle Laughing

Zoeyml

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 28 Aug 2019, 4:49 pm

How sweet. I bet he just loves all the extra attention! I see no problem with this arrangement as long as he has plenty of food, water, things to do, kept at a comfy temp, and has a safe place when you’re needed for other things. I hope his overgrooming is brought under control soon. I know that can be an ongoing battle. hugs

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 29 Aug 2019, 4:44 pm

I just want to add that maybe Spencer is a little boy whose peace of mind just requires more time with his "giant mouse" (you) than other mousies require. Maybe little Spencer is so attached to your presence that his very world revolves around you. When you are not there, he has no concept that it's only temporary and that you will be back. Now that you have found the way to spend that extra time with him, maybe his overgrooming anxiety will fade and no longer be a concern at all.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down