Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abba Parakeet Food for Mice?

2 posters

Go down

Abba Parakeet Food for Mice? Empty Abba Parakeet Food for Mice?

Post by Veronicapc Wed 21 Aug 2019, 10:46 pm

So I use Abba Parakeet / Budgie food which I guess is considered a high - quality bird food. Is it okay to give to my mouse? The things I would be worried about would be the millet, but the peanuts seem to be nonexistant.

Ingredients:
millet seed, canary seed, grass seed, oat groats, safflower seed, buckwheat, flax seed, sesame seed, nonviable hemp seed, shelled peanuts, mollusk shell, kibbled biscuit (wheat, corn, oat, rice, barley, soy bean, peas, brazil nuts, cashews, filberts, pecans, walnuts, almonds, shelled pumpkin seed, egg shell, water, shredded coconut, whole eggs) Precooked meats - pork, chicken, fish meat (USDA inspected and approved), carrots, dandelion, chicory, kale, grapes, bananas, apples, oranges, pears, apricots, milk, honey, corn, casein, salt, brewer's yeast, yellow beta carotene, Canola oil, wheat germ oil, dextrose, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin B12, vitamin E, riboflavin, niacin.
(If you need me to go more indepth in the chemical names lmk)

Also, is there a detailed list of ingredients to make my own mouse food instead of the mouse food I am using right now? (not the parakeet food).

Thank you!

Veronicapc

Libra Inspired

Back to top Go down

Abba Parakeet Food for Mice? Empty Re: Abba Parakeet Food for Mice?

Post by Robin~ Thu 22 Aug 2019, 6:56 am

Hello!

Is it possible for you to leave a link? From what I can see there's multiple Abba Parakeet mixes and I'm having trouble finding the right one.

As for the mix itself, red meat is unsafe, so having pork in there probably isn't best. Mice also aren't that great with dairy so milk isn't great either. Citrus (ex orange) is also something to avoid.

Would you mind listing what country you're in, that way we know what mixes may be available to you?

As for a homemade mix, I would be a little hesitant to feed a mix without fortified pellets and such. Companies will often spray/mix in vitamins/probiotics, and going without that wouldn't be preferable.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Veronicapc Thu 22 Aug 2019, 6:48 pm

Here is the link - http://www.abbaseed.com/Seed_Products/1600/1600_parakeet.html

I'm in the United States, and thanks!

Veronicapc

Libra Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Fri 23 Aug 2019, 11:31 am

Nice! The US has plenty of safe options Smile

Sunseed Vita Prima Parakeet is a nice food as well as VitaKraft VitaSmart Parakeet. Brown's Tropical Carnival is good if your mice don't really like millet.
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Veronicapc Fri 23 Aug 2019, 3:53 pm

Okay thank you! what is your opinion on lab blocks vs. Parakeet food though?

Veronicapc

Libra Inspired

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sat 24 Aug 2019, 2:01 pm

Lab blocks simply do not have any variety. That, and I'm not sure of any blocks that fit the proper nutritional requirements mice need (especially in the protein department)...

Seed mixes/bird foods in the other hand have a variety of ingredients (more interesting and enjoyable to eat) and often have much better GAs. Some people say "well, the mouse will just get picky and only eat what they want", but in all honesty as long as you don't refill the bowl until the pellets are gone they'll eat everything eventually.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down