Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mice things

4 posters

Go down

Mice things Empty Mice things

Post by Freakshow Thu 22 Aug 2019, 8:13 pm

Do mice like to burrow like their hamster/gerbil cousins?

Im trying to decide if i want to raise mice. My main concern is they being nocturnal means i wont get to really play with them. LOL i am unique on this board as i am an old man but i still love animals. I pretty much am a shut in due to injury so i want a pet i can spend time with. Cant have a dog so little animals will have to be it.

Cancer

Back to top Go down

Mice things Empty Re: Mice things

Post by CallaLily Sun 25 Aug 2019, 11:22 am

They do like to dig around and move bedding but in my experience they don’t really burrow the same way hamsters or gerbils do. Mice are actually crepuscular, so are usually more active at dawn and dusk. But often times our pet mice will adjust their schedules to us. Good luck in whatever you decide. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Freakshow Sun 25 Aug 2019, 11:31 am

CallaLily wrote:They do like to dig around and move bedding but in my experience they don’t really burrow the same way hamsters or gerbils do. Mice are actually crepuscular, so are usually more active at dawn and dusk. But often times our pet mice will adjust their schedules to us. Good luck in whatever you decide. Smile

Thank you. I have decided to go with three mice. I shop at Petco as they are the only thing near me. My biggest concern is their lack of choices. I really hate all white mice. So im hoping they get in some other colored mice.

Cancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sun 25 Aug 2019, 11:59 am

Mice do like to burrow but it's best not to use more than 2-3" of bedding or else all their toys will sink. I find having a burrow box fits the job well, but even then mice are tiny and won't need more than 4-5" of bedding. Also keep in mind more bedding often means more dust, which is something you're aiming to avoid.

As for your adoption options, have you looked for some ethical breeders in your area? Even searching for rat breeders in your area may be helpful as most of those breed mice as well.
If you must go to Petco, they do often have mice of other fur colors.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Freakshow Sun 25 Aug 2019, 12:30 pm

Robin~ wrote:
As for your adoption options, have you looked for some ethical breeders in your area? Even searching for rat breeders in your area may be helpful as most of those breed mice as well.
If you must go to Petco, they do often have mice of other fur colors.

Oh, i would happily buy from a breeder if i can find one. I did post asking if anyone knew of one. The issue i have is i live way out in the country. LOL, I might be better just catching them as i am not likely to find a breeder. Everyone says buy from a breeder but be it mice/hamsters/whatnot there are just very few breeders around. hmm Maybe down the road i might look into being a breeder but once again i live so far out in the backwoods im not sure it would be worth it.

Cancer

Back to top Go down

Post by moonstarfc Tue 27 Aug 2019, 3:42 pm

Look at a couple of these pages and see if you happen to have any breeders near you:

https://www.fancymousebreedersassociation.com/breeders.html

http://www.afrma.org/breederlist.htm

You can also check your local Craigslist as people often use them to rehome their animals.
moonstarfc
moonstarfc

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 28 Aug 2019, 4:54 pm

Also, pet stores will occasionally have mice up for adoption but sometimes you have to ask. They are usually returns or surrenders or sometimes mice that couldn’t be sold for whatever reason (aged out, injury, fighting with other mice, etc). Two Thumbs

My Daryl was adopted this way. His previous owner returned him to the store because he was “too stinky” so I was able to adopt him at 8 months old for a $2 donation. He was the most snuggly mouse I’ve ever had. I miss the little guy. girl_sigh

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Freakshow Wed 28 Aug 2019, 5:04 pm

Thank you for your advice

Cancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Freakshow Wed 04 Sep 2019, 11:00 am

I ended up getting three mice. Trying to get pictures but they are still very shy. I have one that will come right up to you one that if she sees you she darts to her hide and the last one stays in her hide most of the time.

Cancer

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 06 Sep 2019, 4:03 pm

Congrats! Hooray

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down