Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on cage size

2 posters

Go down

Opinions on cage size Empty Opinions on cage size

Post by Oreoandfriends Tue 10 Dec 2019, 9:37 pm

Hello everyone! I currently have 2 female mice in a 110 quart bin cage and an extra 50 gallon bin cage. The 50 gallons dimensions are 39.75 L by 21.5 W (850 square inches of floor space, give or take). I did the math and 6 female mice should be able to comfortably live in that size, but I’m still unsure since there’s a lot of conflicting information on mouse cage sizes.
For more information, I plan on getting 6 female “feeder” mice from a local pet store, from what I’ve seen the adults tend to be on the small side.
Also, I currently have 2 6.5 inch silent spinner wheels and I want to provide at least 4, would it be a good idea to buy 2 8 inch wheels as well?
Sorry for all the questions! Any input is much appreciated, thank you! Smile
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Opinions on cage size Empty Re: Opinions on cage size

Post by Peachy Wed 11 Dec 2019, 9:34 am

The cage calculator on this site is meant to be an absolute minimum amount of recommended space. Too large of a space that’s not set up correctly or with mice that aren’t trusting of you yet can cause problem behaviors with you and within the colony. Too little space comes with a different set of obvious concerns that comes with crowding. Beyond that it comes down to the “personalities” and needs of your mice and what you find reasonable and ethical.

For eight mice total, I’d personally make the best use of vertical space possible and also get a couple mesh wheels to complement two silent spinners.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends Wed 11 Dec 2019, 9:48 am

Peachy wrote:The cage calculator on this site is meant to be an absolute minimum amount of recommended space. Too large of a space that’s not set up correctly or with mice that aren’t trusting of you yet can cause problem behaviors with you and within the colony. Too little space comes with a different set of obvious concerns that comes with crowding. Beyond that it comes down to the “personalities” and needs of your mice and what you find reasonable and ethical.

For eight mice total, I’d personally make the best use of vertical space possible and also get a couple mesh wheels to complement two silent spinners.

Thank you! I just looked at the cage calculator and it said my cage size could hold 13 mice at most. I always make my mouse cages packed with toys on the ground and climbing so there’s something to do at every step and I want to make the most ideal setup for them. Thanks for the information!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down