Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

scared mouse?

4 posters

Go down

scared mouse? Empty scared mouse?

Post by mellowjellow Fri 03 Jan 2020, 11:04 pm

I love my mouse so much, but he has been getting hard to handle lately.
I've had him for well over 3 months now and he is still scared of me, sometimes he's even scared of food when I try to feed him.
I tried things like sitting by his cage and putting my hand in his cage to let him sniff me but it just isn't working.
All I was told about him is that he needs a lot of love and attention.
I'm starting to think that there could have been something possibly traumatic that happened to him?
Worry What do you think is the cause of it and what can I do?

Angelic

Back to top Go down

scared mouse? Empty Re: scared mouse?

Post by Oreoandfriends Sat 04 Jan 2020, 3:16 pm

Hello!
The first thing I would consider is his environment. Mouse cages should be packed with toys and hides, timid mice will always be very scared if there isn’t something new to interact with at every step.
If your cage opens at the top, it can also scare mice because it will feel like a predator is swooping down to get them. If your cage is built like this, slowly bring your hand down at an angle so it looks like it’s coming from the side.
Many mice are just very scared of humans, so just keep trying getting him used to your hand. If he likes any treats in specific try having him take it from you while your holding it.
Hope this helps! Smile
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by mellowjellow Sat 04 Jan 2020, 3:39 pm

Thank you so much!!

Angelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosferatu Sat 04 Jan 2020, 6:23 pm

I have two boys, one is very sociable and sweet, and the other completely avoids me, to the point where he'll run back into his little house when I come near. I've had mine for 3 months now as well, and I haven't made any progress with the shy one. I think one of the best things you can do is just continue to interact with him, and hope he'll stop being so shy and open up a little. The best way I've found to get my mouse to come near me and not immediately run away is when I offer him his favorite treats. Can feel frustrating though, feels like you're not making any progress at all sometimes!
Nosferatu
Nosferatu

Capricorn Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Sun 05 Jan 2020, 9:38 pm

One of my boys was really scared for the first month, wouldn't let me near him. Now he's the friendliest one.

I would talk to your mouse a lot but always announce yourself when you come in the room. "i am coming" in a sing song voice or just do squeaks. That way it never seems like you are sneaking up on him.

I would also start with treats when you first remove the lid so he gets used to getting rewarded for coming out and seeing what is going on. Always make sure he sees you when you reach for anything near him (or him) and talk in a soft pleasing voice.

Be patient but also do what you need to do without making too big a deal out of his scaredy stuff. I used to just call mine a scaredy cat when he'd run away (in a pleasing voice) and then leave a few treats for him.

This works for me to varying degrees. Good luck.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down