Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mouse with tumor euthanasia

2 posters

Go down

mouse with tumor euthanasia  Empty mouse with tumor euthanasia

Post by katiemarie55 Mon 20 Jan 2020, 4:38 pm

Hi everyone

One of my 3 female mice has a pretty large tumor on her shoulder and another smaller tumor on her stomach. She’s around 1 1/2 years old. I took her to the vet about a month ago and we decided not to try to remove the tumors due to her age and the positions of them. She’s been living with the tumors pretty well for a while now despite their large size, but now she’s lost a lot of weight and definitely has trouble moving around a bit.
She still eats and drinks, but she definitely spends a majority of her time in one of their hides sleeping/laying down.

My question now is whether it’s time for me to consider taking her to the vet to have her euthanized or whether it would be better for her to stay with her cage mates until she dies naturally.
She doesn’t seem to be in horrible pain, but she’s clearly struggling and her weight loss is concerning so I just don’t really know what to do.

I know this is kind of a personal choice I need to make but I would appreciate any input! I’m leaning towards letting her pass naturally with her cage mates since she still seems really happy with them but I don’t want her to unnecessarily suffer either

katiemarie55

Back to top Go down

mouse with tumor euthanasia  Empty Re: mouse with tumor euthanasia

Post by Nicolademee Mon 20 Jan 2020, 9:01 pm

If she doesn't seem in a great deal of pain I'd let her live awhile longer. From the sounds of it it's only inhibiting her ability to move somewhat, and if she still enjoys her cagemates, eats well, and can still get around easily enough to play and access her necessities, I would wait. Maybe not let her pass naturally, as by then I think it would be painful for her, but perhaps another few weeks.
Nicolademee
Nicolademee
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn Sluggish

Back to top Go down