Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to upgrade my mouse set up

2 posters

Go down

I want to upgrade my mouse set up Empty I want to upgrade my mouse set up

Post by Tiffanieptrck1 Fri 12 Jun 2020, 2:02 am

I have a total of 4 mice. I have the favola Mouse cage that I bought off of amazon that is recommended on another post. But now I think I want to go with a tank probably a 20 gallon long.I have a cat she has not tried to get into the current cage yet(fyi). I will get a mesh top. I have had them about a month and I find that I replacing the bedding Every other day or every 3 days So I'm hoping ammonia build up won't be a problem.Would it be Possible to get a little desk fan and maybe have it on a timer to go off every day for 30 minutes to help be sure I'm ammonia doesn't build up. fan would be mounted outside cage pointing down\at an angle.

Is there any advice you guys might have? I would love pictures of any tanks!
Tiffanieptrck1
Tiffanieptrck1
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

I want to upgrade my mouse set up Empty Re: I want to upgrade my mouse set up

Post by Robin~ Fri 12 Jun 2020, 8:02 am

Hello!

I'd actually suggest going over a 20g for four mice--while that can technically work, I generally prefer to go with 150-200sq in per mouse. This should also help with cleanings--a larger cages means you won't have to replace the bedding as often. Tanks also tend to have very poor ventilation, so if that's an issue for you perhaps you'd want something with multiple sides that are barred/meshed.

Have you considered bin cages? There's one found at Target and Walmart called the 200qt Sterilite storage bin that has around 600sq in of floorspace at the base (around 650sq in with 6" of bedding for thermoregulation). If you cut a large hole in the top and sides and mesh them out with 1/4" hardware cloth (a mesh found at most hardware stores) that should give you plenty enough ventilation.

Guinea pig cages also make for great options. You'd have to mesh them over by attaching the hardware cloth to the bars with zip ties, but they provide an excellent amount of floorspace for the price and have fantastic ventilation. I found this one off amazon that's pretty cheap. Not as cheap as the bin, but worth it for less DIYing. Both the standard and the large would be great.

If you want to know more about either of these options I've done both for my mice. Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffanieptrck1 Fri 12 Jun 2020, 12:23 pm

I want to keep down on DIY modifications. Plus I like that they can't chew through glass where with the bins and current cage I worry about them chewing straight through without me noticing even though I clean it so often. That is the reason I replace the bedding so often.
Tiffanieptrck1
Tiffanieptrck1
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down