Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP!! Mouse might have allergies or be sick?

3 posters

Go down

HELP!! Mouse might have allergies or be sick? Empty HELP!! Mouse might have allergies or be sick?

Post by tkstefan Fri 10 Jul 2020, 1:39 am

My mouse Chester, whom I got not even 2 weeks ago, is sneezing a lot. She started sneezing a couple of days ago, and it has turned from sneezing into a sort of quiet chirping? I looked up a video of a mouse with a respiratory infection, and it didn't sound like that at all. She also is eating and drinking fine, although she is hiding more (she's been very skittish from the start though), not running on the wheel as much (which she used to run on all night), and is much more scared of my hand (I still haven't finished taming her but she was definitely comfortable with my hand before the sneezing). I've had to use shredded newspaper as bedding these last couple weeks because of a delay in my Kaytee Clean and Cozy order, which is coming tomorrow. Could this be the cause of the sneezing? I'll definitely change the bedding tomorrow. I'm also using Higgins sunburst rat and mouse gourmet food if that could be a cause as well. Or even the cheerios I give them as treats? I don't know. Please help! And thanks for all your help on previous posts.

tkstefan
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

HELP!! Mouse might have allergies or be sick? Empty Re: HELP!! Mouse might have allergies or be sick?

Post by hyxng Tue 14 Jul 2020, 2:56 am

I don't know what could be causing it, but the sneezing and chirping sound sounds very similar to my mouse, who i just found out has a respiratory infection.. so do with that what you will.
if you dont notice any improvement after changing the bedding id definitely consider going to the vet

hyxng

Back to top Go down

HELP!! Mouse might have allergies or be sick? Empty Re: HELP!! Mouse might have allergies or be sick?

Post by tkstefan Tue 14 Jul 2020, 11:33 am

She doesn't have labored breathing though? Also, she only squeaks at certain times. Could it still be a respiratory infection?

tkstefan
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Tue 14 Jul 2020, 11:55 pm

Have you been able to change the bedding yet? It IS possible that that could be the cause. Although, newspaper isn't usually very dusty, so I'm not inclined to think that it is.

It's possible that, even though you can't hear trouble breathing, she has an infection - and if so, you'll need antibiotics. Your best option is of course to go to an exotics vet, but if you can't do that, you can find Enrofloxacin (generic Baytril) as dosed for birds online, which will generally help with bacterial infections in mice.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down