Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy single male, but does he get lonely?

2 posters

Go down

Happy single male, but does he get lonely?  Empty Happy single male, but does he get lonely?

Post by L0rd-sesshomaru Thu 03 Sep 2020, 11:43 am

Good morning all,

It’s Hemmy’s owner again! Hope everyone is safe & well.

Hemmy is maybe about 6 months, have had him for about 3 montha and he’s the sweetest and very playful. Since my partner and I work from home because of the coronavirus, we’ve had the opportunity to give him all our attention whenever he’s awake during the day. He seems happy, has a great cage, lots of fun toys, and very healthy. But he’s up all night and I wonder if our babyboy gets lonely when we’re asleep. I’d love for him to have female friends. Can y’all please give any thoughts, advice? Is neutering worth the risk? Is it possible for me to find a breeder with females that are spayed or infertile? Someone recommended the African soft furs but they’re not legal in California.

I read some studies that spaying females are riskier surgeries but seem to have the health benefits of descreasing the chance of tumors? So then I wondered would spaying females be better than neutering hemmy since he won’t gain any health benefits from it? Then again, surgery on mice really scares me.

Sorry folks, so many questions in one post! He seems happy but I also want to know options to improve his quality of life even more Heart
L0rd-sesshomaru
L0rd-sesshomaru

Back to top Go down

Happy single male, but does he get lonely?  Empty Re: Happy single male, but does he get lonely?

Post by MeanMurine Thu 03 Sep 2020, 1:21 pm

Hello! I've got a male mouse headed in for a neuter soon (he doesn't like people but absolutely loves his girl neighbours Wink )
I made my decision based on the fact that he often tried to get out as well as constantly demanded to be let out to see other mice. He never actually seemed interested in my company, however. He even escaped, once.
If your exotic animal vet is good, neutering a male is a very simple and quick procedure. A spay, I imagine, is costly and difficult on an animal as small as a mouse. I doubt you'll find any spayed ladies for him. Infertile females sometimes have a surprise litter so that isn't the safest option either.
So, if you have access to a vet who's experienced with mouse neuters and you can easily get a couple of girls for him and go about introductions, I suggest you go ahead. Mouse company is the finest enrichment, and humans can't quite replace their own kind. Be warned he might not make friends though, so make a plan for that outcome!
Might want to ask about the post-op waiting period too, because they can certainly get a lady friend pregnant for a few weeks after.
If you do not have the funds or access to a capable vet, I can only suggest space, LOTS of enrichment and toys, and attention at every opportunity. It's a case by case basis but lots of lone boys live out happy, fulfilling lives.

Jr Member
Jr Member

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Happy single male, but does he get lonely?  Empty Re: Happy single male, but does he get lonely?

Post by L0rd-sesshomaru Thu 03 Sep 2020, 6:09 pm

Hi! Thank youuuuu so much :')

I would love to hear updates on your little guy's surgery. I hope it all goes well and that he has a speedy recovery <3

Our vet is now on medical leave :-( but thankfully there's a great list of exotic vets in the area, ive been reading reviews and will make some calls tomorrow to get the feel for their team.

Is this your first time getting a male neutered? If so, I'd love to hear your experience with that. Originally I was very sure I didn't want to do surgery, but now I'm realizing my thought process was clouded by fear. But it seems like the procedure is fairly quick and many males live great lives being neutered. I'm still nervous but I do want to keep an open mind. So I really appreciate this response :')
L0rd-sesshomaru
L0rd-sesshomaru

MeanMurine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanMurine Fri 04 Sep 2020, 4:56 am

It is indeed my first time getting a lil guy "fixed"! I've only had experience with rabbit and cat neuters so far. We're waiting on a date for his appointment and I'll keep you updated on this thread, for future readers too Smile
Something that helped me make up my mind was CreekValleyCritters' video on YouTube about mouse neuters, titled "Little mouse gets neutered". It is very helpful, but be warned there's surgery footage involved.

Jr Member
Jr Member

L0rd-sesshomaru likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L0rd-sesshomaru Fri 04 Sep 2020, 3:54 pm

Oh, I see! Well, best of luck with your lil guy Smile I'm confident his surgery and healing process will be a piece of cake!! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

By any chance, did the vet or vet tech mention how long after his surgery he needs to be seprarated from the females? I spoke to exotic pets with great experience! So I think we're moving forward Smile but one vet tech said we have to wait two months until he can be with the girls? but I thought I read it was only a few weeks!

Cheers to our boys! I'm happy they will live the rest of their lives with friends Smile)
L0rd-sesshomaru
L0rd-sesshomaru

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanMurine Fri 04 Sep 2020, 4:18 pm

From what I understand, six weeks is a general time span given for all male animals for post castration infertility. Our vet told us he'd need a month on his own. A study on rats I dug up suggests infertility occurs on the eighth day post-surgery.
An unfortunate part of owning meeces is the lack of concrete information, since niche small pets like that aren't typically considered "worthy" of research in regards to this type of thing.
It's better to be safe than sorry, so if you have the patience for it, the six week wait might be the best option. It'll give you an opportunity to bond with the new girls and quarantine them also!

Jr Member
Jr Member

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by L0rd-sesshomaru Tue 22 Sep 2020, 1:32 pm

Hi!! Thanks so much for all your insights Smile How's your boy doing? did he end up getting the surgery!? Hemmy has a vet appointment for October 16th to get neutered, but I'm still nervous! The exotic vet has lots of experience neutering lots of rodents and small animals, so that makes me feel better.

MeanMurine wrote:From what I understand, six weeks is a general time span given for all male animals for post castration infertility. Our vet told us he'd need a month on his own. A study on rats I dug up suggests infertility occurs on the eighth day post-surgery.
An unfortunate part of owning meeces is the lack of concrete information, since niche small pets like that aren't typically considered "worthy" of research in regards to this type of thing.
It's better to be safe than sorry, so if you have the patience for it, the six week wait might be the best option. It'll give you an opportunity to bond with the new girls and quarantine them also!
L0rd-sesshomaru
L0rd-sesshomaru

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanMurine Tue 22 Sep 2020, 2:46 pm

We've made the arrangements and are now on a wait list! (less than twenty exotic vets in my country, if one were to make a generous estimate) The stinker himself is as smelly as ever, and spending his days in unaware bliss. I've bought him a tiny carrier for now so I feel like I'm actually doing something while waiting.
In a week or two the young ones in my 9 mouse female colony will have developed their personalities and social skills enough for me to be able to pick a couple that'll become his partners in crime eventually.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanMurine Wed 07 Oct 2020, 12:49 pm

Update to whoever will find this useful: Neuter happened today. We dropped him off at 1 pm and picked him up after work in the evening. He's fine, acting like nothing happened at all.
Eating, drinking, having adventures.
I removed his wheel so he doesn't get too rambunctious even though I don't see any incisions on him. His "jewels" are simply gone.
Vet gave us liquid antibiotics to go in his water, renewed daily. After the one week course of antibiotics and a waiting period, vet has told us he's good to move in with his three wives.

Last edited by MeanMurine on Wed 07 Oct 2020, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot a deet)

Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down