Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lonely male mouse accompanying old female?

4 posters

Go down

Lonely male mouse accompanying old female? Empty Lonely male mouse accompanying old female?

Post by muisjes Sat 15 Jul 2017, 8:54 pm

I just got a young male mouse and am housing him in a 20 gal tank. It is well decorated but he looks soooo lonely. I have an old 1.5 year old female and was wondering if she could be his tank mate? No way should she have a litter as she never had a litter. Are they fertile till death?

muisjes
Jr Member
Jr Member

Mellow

Back to top Go down

Lonely male mouse accompanying old female? Empty Re: Lonely male mouse accompanying old female?

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 16 Jul 2017, 12:51 am

I believe there would still be a chance she could get pregnant. Plus even if there wasn't I don't think it a good idea to put a young male mouse in with an old female mouse as he would probably try to mate with her and not leave her alone and that wouldn't be fair to her. Male mice need attention from their people. Try spending more time with him.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Lonely male mouse accompanying old female? Empty Re: Lonely male mouse accompanying old female?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 16 Jul 2017, 12:58 am

No, definitely do not put them together! They can become pregnant at any age, and at an older age it is extremely risky and stressful for a mouse to give birth and raise babies. Your male will be okay as long as you are interacting with him daily. If he seems lonely, maybe try to take him out more, even if it's just for an extra few minutes, he will enjoy it. You can also make him a "fake friend", one of my boys really enjoys his fake friend and carries it everywhere with him, there's a tutorial I believe on the DIY section. If your female doesn't have a friend, consider introducing another female to her, as females definitely should not be alone. Good luck with everything! Smile

Lonely male mouse accompanying old female? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:27 am

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:No, definitely do not put them together! They can become pregnant at any age, and at an older age it is extremely risky and stressful for a mouse to give birth and raise babies. Your male will be okay as long as you are interacting with him daily. If he seems lonely, maybe try to take him out more, even if it's just for an extra few minutes, he will enjoy it.

This! Try spending more time with him and give him a lot to do. Switch up toys more often, rearrange his setup, give him new tastes and textures to explore.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by muisjes Sun 16 Jul 2017, 12:43 pm

Thank you all. I agree with the replies. Just wanted to double check Smile

muisjes
Jr Member
Jr Member

Mellow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down