Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antlers and beech nuts?

4 posters

Go down

Antlers and beech nuts? Empty Antlers and beech nuts?

Post by SarahAdams Sat 03 Oct 2020, 9:55 pm

I know mice in the wild like to gnaw on dropped deer antlers. Are these a good chewing idea? I give my mice lots of chew toys, but they don't seem to be big chewers and I worry about their teeth. Any suggestions on chewies that mice really like?

Also, I have huge beech trees which rain beechnuts in the autumn. The squirrels gorge on them but I don't know if they are okay for mice?

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

MeanMurine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Antlers and beech nuts? Empty Re: Antlers and beech nuts?

Post by BrendoniUrie Sun 04 Oct 2020, 12:34 am

I gave my mice an antler once and they only chewed it once during the many times I gave it to them, so I stopped giving them the antler. My mice did enjoy tearing up the bird rope toy, they don't really chew on those wooden blocks, they like the 'pretzel' and apple orchard sticks, and making holes in cardboard. I would think that as long as you have plenty of things they can chew on if they want to you should be good. If you really are that worried, providing lab blocks can also be a good way to make sure they are wearing their teeth down.

I have no idea about beechnuts.

Passed away:
[/i] Jay
the Betta
BrendoniUrie
BrendoniUrie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Bookworm

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanMurine Sun 04 Oct 2020, 6:28 am

Whimzees work wonders for me and my mice. Antlers might work for you, my gf's mice love them and mine don't even acknowledge them. Those himalayan dog chews made of yak milk might do the trick also... Stubborn non chewers can be tempted with ecotrition cheesy chews if they're available to you.
Beechnuts should be safe as a treat as long as you pop them in a freezer for a while after collecting them to kill any bugs or parasites hitching a ride. Introduce slowly to avoid causing digestive upset though.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Sun 04 Oct 2020, 10:04 am

@BrendaniUrie - I've also found they won't chew on those wooden blocks. They each have the rope bird perch which they love running and peeing on but never chew. Same with those seagrass twists and apple sticks. I give them lab blocks but can't tell if they chew them. They do enjoy chewing cardboard sometimes, but I don't' think it's hard enough to wear teeth down?

@MeanMurine: I've seen people giving those Whimzees - mostly to hamsters who seem to love them -  in YT vids. I think I'll give those a try and give the antler a shot too! Good to know about beechnuts! Never heard of Himalayan dog chews...?

The only thing they've chewed with a vengeance is this nest, from which they removed the back wall.  Laughing
Antlers and beech nuts? FAiGXcL

Which reminds me: I didn't like the chain on that hanging nest, so substituted sisal string. I was afraid of the chain links catching toes. They immediately chewed the string and down came the nest. Are those chains safe to use?

Sorry for so many questions but when I started trying to research mouse care there was much conflicting info, and if you don't make sure to put "pet" in your search terms, lots of links for trapping and repelling them.  Sad

Thank you both! Your info is very helpful.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Sun 04 Oct 2020, 10:36 am

I wouldn't be too concerned about getting your mice to chew--they should get plenty of wear from the seeds and pellets in their diet. No need to go too far out of your way to try to find something they'll chew. Smile

The chain would probably be fine. I use paper clip chains all the time in my cage and I've never had an issue.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Sun 04 Oct 2020, 11:24 am

Robin~ wrote:I wouldn't be too concerned about getting your mice to chew--they should get plenty of wear from the seeds and pellets in their diet. No need to go too far out of your way to try to find something they'll chew. Smile

The chain would probably be fine. I use paper clip chains all the time in my cage and I've never had an issue.

I never thought of paper clips! I've never had such small, fragile pets (my rats were like tanks in comparison) and I guess I worry too much, both about the chew thing and about them hurting themselves.

Thank you. Smile

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

MeanMurine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanMurine Sun 04 Oct 2020, 11:30 am

Mice are very small and lightly built indeed. It's also why I wouldn't worry about a chain though. They're light and flexible enough to get a caught foot out without any trouble or injury instead of just dangling there like a heavier, more ungainly animal would.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down