Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is having fans running a problem?

5 posters

Go down

Is having fans running a problem? Empty Is having fans running a problem?

Post by disastervibe Wed 11 Nov 2020, 3:14 am

I live in Hawaii where it's hot year-round, and I'm considering getting some mice my local animal shelter has up for adoption. The thing is, we don't have central a/c in my house (only in the living room), and the room I'm planning to keep the mice in has fans going pretty much constantly. I also keep a betta fish in the same room, and since I can't afford to shell out hundreds for an aquarium chiller I need to have those fans running so the temperature of the room itself doesn't get too warm and cause my fish tank to overheat. This room is the only room I'd be able to keep my mice in because 1) I'm living with family and they don't mind me getting the mice as long as I keep them in my own room, and 2) we have dogs and I want to keep them as separate as possible anyway.

So my question is: How big of a problem is it to have the fans running regularly? Will that bother the mice? On the one hand, it would help keep the mice cool too and both my fish and I need them, but on the other hand I've read you're not supposed keep mice in drafty areas. Am I going to have to build some kind of plexiglass shield or something to keep down the fan wind (would really prefer not to, but will if I need to)?

Also, I do have other means for the mice to cool themselves down (chilled tiles).

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Is having fans running a problem? Empty Re: Is having fans running a problem?

Post by chaosplanet Wed 11 Nov 2020, 10:36 am

I think this shouldn't pose too much of an issue especially if it may prevent your mice from over heating since you do live in a hot area, but if you start to notice your mice becoming too sluggish or not as energetic, it might be smart to try and keep them a bit warmer, or even removing the chilled tiles if this with the fans makes them too cold.

Hope this helps and I hope you're able to get some mice!

Cheers,
Chaos x

chaosplanet

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Wed 11 Nov 2020, 11:43 am

Like most furred mammals that cannot sweat, mice are better able to tolerate cool temps than very high ones. If you get an open wire cage, put it away from sunlight, and set a fan across the room for them (so the air is not blowing too hard directly on them) they should be okay in temps in the mid or even upper 70's, provided it's not too humid. Winter is coming, but it may get too hot for them in the summer, though, especially if you have to keep your bedroom door closed, unless you want to invest in a small a/c window unit.

Even where I am in Canada, the humidex can reach over 100 degrees and that is way too hot and humid for mice, even with a fan.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Wed 11 Nov 2020, 12:30 pm

chaosplanet wrote:I think this shouldn't pose too much of an issue especially if it may prevent your mice from over heating since you do live in a hot area, but if you start to notice your mice becoming too sluggish or not as energetic, it might be smart to try and keep them a bit warmer, or even removing the chilled tiles if this with the fans makes them too cold.

Hope this helps and I hope you're able to get some mice!

Cheers,
Chaos x

SarahAdams wrote:Like most furred mammals that cannot sweat, mice are better able to tolerate cool temps than very high ones. If you get an open wire cage, put it away from sunlight, and set a fan across the room for them (so the air is not blowing too hard directly on them) they should be okay in temps in the mid or even upper 70's, provided it's not too humid. Winter is coming, but it may get too hot for them in the summer, though, especially if you have to keep your bedroom door closed, unless you want to invest in a small a/c window unit.

Even where I am in Canada, the humidex can reach over 100 degrees and that is way too hot and humid for mice, even with a fan.

Thanks guys! This is very reassuring, if/when I get them I'll be sure to keep a close eye on their activity to see if they seem too cold or too hot.

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Thu 12 Nov 2020, 12:33 am

I live in Texas, and also have funs running 24/7 usually in the rooms with my mice. It's never caused an issue for me before.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin~ Thu 12 Nov 2020, 6:22 am

I don't think trying to keep a betta and mice at the same temperature would work--bettas need temperatures around 80F and mice should stay in the 65-75F area; anything over 80F could put them at risk of heat stroke. You might be able to cool the room to 70-75F and get a heater for your tank, though--heaters are much cheaper than coolers.

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by disastervibe Sat 14 Nov 2020, 4:45 pm

Robin~ wrote:I don't think trying to keep a betta and mice at the same temperature would work--bettas need temperatures around 80F and mice should stay in the 65-75F area; anything over 80F could put them at risk of heat stroke. You might be able to cool the room to 70-75F and get a heater for your tank, though--heaters are much cheaper than coolers.

Oh, don't worry! The tank is a separate temperature from the rest of my room; I keep a digital thermometer in the tank to constantly monitor the water temperature. I already have a heater for my tank, for when the temperatures drop below 77/78F degrees in the room.

I just wanted to make sure the constant air movement of the fans (which, frankly, I need as well) wouldn't bother the mice. With them I can keep the air temperature below 82F, plus the other cooling measures I'm prepping for the mice (cooling tiles, ceramic hides, cage is in the shade, etc.). I've also got another thermometer for my room coming so I can monitor the cage temperature and take additional measures if I need to.

I will say that these mice, being born and raised here in Hawaii where it's common not to have A/C, are probably used to somewhat warmer temperatures. Tbh, I don't think they'd be able to find a home here that really keeps their house temperatures below 75F, even with A/C.

disastervibe

Taurus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down