Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running in circles

4 posters

Go down

Running in circles Empty Running in circles

Post by muisjes Fri 27 Nov 2020, 1:41 pm

One of the oldies, about a year old, only runs in clockwise circles when on the move. I think she has had a stroke but can sleep well, groom herself, eat sitting still and drink from a nozzle. She spends lot of time running and is actually the fittest of all 8. I have decided to let her be as she looks very healthy and trim. The others don't seem to mind when she runs in to them once in a while.

muisjes
Jr Member
Jr Member

Mellow

Back to top Go down

Running in circles Empty Re: Running in circles

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 27 Nov 2020, 2:57 pm

It could be an ear infection, which proper antibiotics would resolve.

On one hand, I imagine a mouse that suddenly wakes up one day sick more or less reacts the same way I did when I was five and came down with a world-class case of mumps.  Even though I was confined to bed, could not speak, could not hear, and could barely see, I was not scared.  My attitude, basically, was: "And so this is what today is like ..."

On another hand, I can also imagine a mouse becoming very frustrated when she tries to walk to her food or water or favorite sleep spot, and her path keeps deviating for some reason she is unable to decipher.

So if you can get twirly-mouse to her doctor for a professional opinion, it may be possible to get her, shall we say, back on the straight and narrow in relatively short time. Let us know how things go.
MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 27 Nov 2020, 3:02 pm

I was also going to say have her checked for any ear troubles. I had a mouse who had a stroke twice... so sad to watch but each time she recovered amazing and just kept on with life.

Here’s our tiny article about waltzing mice if you’re interested. Not much there but it’s there. lol
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet#41
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 27 Nov 2020, 8:02 pm

@muisjes Hello. As others have said, this is a condition known as "waltzing". There are a lot of different things that could have caused it - a stroke as you've suspected, an ear infection as others have said, or even genetics (and sometimes it doesn't start to affect them right away). Definitely take her to the vet if possible to see if they can identify the cause, because if it is due to an ear infection, it might be fixable.

That said, my heart mouse, my dear Trouble, was a waltzing mouse. It started out as an ear infection as far as I can tell, with a head tilt and walking/running in circles. We took her into the vet and got medicine, which helped a good deal with the head tilt, but never completely cured it or her waltzing. Still, she was the sweetest and friendliest little mouse I've ever known. Her circling never got so bad that she couldn't eat or rest, and so she was able to live the rest of her life (though, unfortunately, shortened) happily. Please don't give up on your girl just because she's waltzing! If she's still able to feed herself/groom/etc. and her quality of life isn't severely affected, give her a chance.
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by muisjes Sat 28 Nov 2020, 12:44 pm

I know for sure it is not an ear infection. She never paid attention to her ear or looked sick or uncomfortable. I will let her live her happy and healthy life the way she is. She sleeps, eat and grooms calmly.

muisjes
Jr Member
Jr Member

Mellow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down