Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cage upgrade ideas

3 posters

Go down

Cage upgrade ideas Empty Cage upgrade ideas

Post by River Sun 13 Dec 2020, 1:38 am

Caillou really likes his space. I imagine that since he's alone, he gets bored faster. More space = more enrichment, so I would like to make a bin cage.

I think I'd like to incorporate his old topper somehow, though. Anyone have any ideas on lid designs I could attach his topper to? Those hooks on the side wrap around the edge of the aquarium now so I wonder if I could make a wooden lid with some beams and get it to work. Or maybe zip ties?  This might be a little too ambitious, lol. He really likes his topper, though!

Cage upgrade ideas 131297689_1092557217862930_4328089941631137085_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=OjkYYHn8ZMcAX8L9WiG&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-1
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Cage upgrade ideas Empty Re: Cage upgrade ideas

Post by Peachy Sun 13 Dec 2020, 8:43 am

I’ve made toppers on a bin cage out of mesh. Probably don’t have pictures, but it’s a popular idea for gerbil keepers.

Cage upgrade ideas 26652910

Shocked These remind me of a catio I’m building for my kittens!
Cage upgrade ideas 5a851610

Cage upgrade ideas 94670210
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 13 Dec 2020, 11:48 am

Never thought to look up gerbil cages! Great idea! Thanks. Smile
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Sun 13 Dec 2020, 8:27 pm

@River I think that if you got a bin that was slightly bigger than the size of the topper, it would be easy to simply attach it to the lid.

I would measure out exactly where the topper would sit, aligning it in the middle of the lid, then cutting out the plastic of the inside. Then drill holes around the cut hole, and attach the topper with zip ties the same way you'd attach regular mesh.

Hopefully that explanation is helpful...? I can envision what I'm trying to say but I'm not so sure if I'm doing a good enough job of transcribing it Worry

Just come to Texas real quick and I'll show you? Wink
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 30 Dec 2020, 8:57 pm

How would you guys hypothetically put table legs on the bottom of a bin? Is drilling at all a possibility? Christmas tree bins are all over right about now but I couldn't fit it on my current table. Laughing
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 30 Dec 2020, 9:22 pm

Do you already have legs picked out? I bet you could drill a few holes in the bottom, but I’d probably just glue some sofa legs to the bottom.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 30 Dec 2020, 9:53 pm

I could probably use expanding foam or glue or something! I was worried it'd crack if I drilled it lol. I don't have any legs at the moment, I'll probably just get a wooden pole from Home Depot and make it work lol. My main goal is just to keep him out of reach of rabbits and rabbit-sized dogs, and to have a little bit of storage underneath. It could technically go on the floor for a while, though.

Of course, if I upgrade to this size I'll be needing to conjure up more toys to clutter it, so that's something to consider. Regardless, whatever bin I choose I'll probably need legs. My table is long, but only 12" wide!
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Wed 30 Dec 2020, 11:05 pm

I've never had an issue with drilling cracking the plastic, that usually works fine. Cutting without a hot knife is when I've made cracks.

Though I'd probably just use either a really strong wood glue, super glue, or silicone to attach the legs right to the bottom.
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down