Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much out of cage time?

+5
Dee67
River
milkyway
Peachy
Oreoandfriends
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How much out of cage time? Empty How much out of cage time?

Post by Oreoandfriends Sun 10 Jan 2021, 10:44 am

Hello!
I currently have one male mouse who lives alone. He’s pretty friendly and does well out of the cage so I try to give him at least 30 minutes a day, but I’d like to give more.
I was wondering out of curiosity how much out of cage time you guys give your lone males every day/ how much you recommend? Also, any ideas on activities I could have him do while he’s out?
Thanks!
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

How much out of cage time? Empty Re: How much out of cage time?

Post by Peachy Sun 10 Jan 2021, 11:03 am

Thirty minutes is a good minimum. I've had males spend hours out of their cage, but you want to make sure they have access to water. I always make sure their cage is accessible. If we sit at the table, his cage is put on the table to allow him to go home when he feels like it. Ramps are a fun way to do this if your mouse is in a tank or something similar.
Mazes are always fun! My mice have really loved tunneling around in an old sweatshirt or under a sheet.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyway Sun 10 Jan 2021, 2:46 pm

Peachy wrote:Thirty minutes is a good minimum. I've had males spend hours out of their cage, but you want to make sure they have access to water. I always make sure their cage is accessible. If we sit at the table, his cage is put on the table to allow him to go home when he feels like it. Ramps are a fun way to do this if your mouse is in a tank or something similar.
Mazes are always fun! My mice have really loved tunneling around in an old sweatshirt or under a sheet.

Hi Smile Any ideas for ramps? My buck lives in a bin with rather high walls and I'd like for him to have an option while I study! Bouncy

milkyway

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 10 Jan 2021, 2:59 pm

They make really long bendy bridges that should work fine for a ramp! My enclosure isn't on a table unfortunately but if it were that'd be my go-to.

I know 30 minutes is considered a good minimum, but I just give my boy however much time he wants. Sometimes he won't want to come out at all, sometimes he'll be out for over an hour before he's ready to head home. This is partially why I plan to get him a very large cage and some sort of a companion. But, more to the point, just listen to what he wants and make sure he has access to water and some snacks.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyway Sun 10 Jan 2021, 3:04 pm

River wrote:They make really long bendy bridges that should work fine for a ramp! My enclosure isn't on a table unfortunately but if it were that'd be my go-to.

I know 30 minutes is considered a good minimum, but I just give my boy however much time he wants. Sometimes he won't want to come out at all, sometimes he'll be out for over an hour before he's ready to head home. This is partially why I plan to get him a very large cage and some sort of a companion. But, more to the point, just listen to what he wants and make sure he has access to water and some snacks.

Hmm my bin cage is really tall though, I know what bridges you're talking about and I'm not sure if it would be long enough!

I AM considering grabbing the door from this travel carrier and zip tying it to a side of the bin?? Not sure how to make work.. (p.s., are you going through with the ASFs? I saw some of your posts on an ASF group!)

milkyway

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sun 10 Jan 2021, 3:17 pm

It's looking very likely, yes! I have found a vet that neuters near me so we're carefully considering that, but he may have some lung scarring from when he was a little one so he'll need to be examined first. If he does, it wouldn't be safe and ASF's would be the only option. Smile
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Sun 10 Jan 2021, 4:35 pm

When my little fellow, Figgy, wakes up and hears me, he wants out right away. I put his cage on the spare bed with a special sheet underneath, and leave his cage door open so he can come and go, and pile the bed with tubes, cereal boxes, a box full of digging stuff (mostly paper), some interesting rocks and other items like jars, paper bags, and a bunch of his wooden toys (bridges, acorn, ladders). He plays as long as he wants and puts himself back to bed.
Dee67
Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyway Sun 10 Jan 2021, 6:23 pm

Dee67 wrote:When my little fellow, Figgy, wakes up and hears me, he wants out right away. I put his cage on the spare bed with a special sheet underneath, and leave his cage door open so he can come and go, and pile the bed with tubes, cereal boxes, a box full of digging stuff (mostly paper), some interesting rocks and other items like jars, paper bags,  and a bunch of his wooden toys (bridges, acorn, ladders). He plays as long as he wants and puts himself back to bed.

Wow! How long have you had him?

milkyway

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 10 Jan 2021, 6:31 pm

milkyway wrote:Hi Smile Any ideas for ramps? My buck lives in a bin with rather high walls and I'd like for him to have an option while I study! Bouncy
Popsicle sticks or a piece of cardboard with fleece glued on would be super easy, and easy to store. Adding a door to the side of the bin is a great idea too!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Sun 10 Jan 2021, 9:29 pm

milkyway wrote:Hi Smile Any ideas for ramps? My buck lives in a bin with rather high walls and I'd like for him to have an option while I study! Bouncy

I use a plastic container from the dollar tree, it's a thin plastic basket with slotted sides. I cut out either short end to attach the ramp to the surface of the shelf I use it for, and then the other end to allow the mice to climb onto it. Then I glued the pieces I cut out to the ramp as footholds (popsicle sticks would also work). I prefer plastic to cardboard because it can be cleaned and isn't chewed on as much as cardboard/wood is.

Sorry if my explanation isn't the greatest, I'll try to get a pic later.

Or as Peachy said, you can add a door to the side of the bin! I actually posted a tutorial about one way to do that here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t2977-diy-sliding-screen-doors
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiffanieptrck1 Mon 11 Jan 2021, 1:25 am

I bought bird ladders for my mice. they love climbing them. I actually found a pretty long one at a mom&pop pet store. The rungs just need to be close enough for your mice to hop on
Tiffanieptrck1
Tiffanieptrck1
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Mon 11 Jan 2021, 4:06 pm

@milkyway He's 9 weeks old now, and I have had him since he was 5 weeks. Love
Dee67
Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends Mon 11 Jan 2021, 6:24 pm

Thanks so much for the responses everyone! Unfortunately Fabios cage is in a shelving unit surrounded by many other pet cages and places to get stuck (the cage itself is awkward to pick up from the shelf too) so I have to take him to another location manually. I’ll try making some mazes and stuff for him, thank you! Smile
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Tue 12 Jan 2021, 1:55 am

Oreoandfriends wrote:Thanks so much for the responses everyone! Unfortunately Fabios cage is in a shelving unit surrounded by many other pet cages and places to get stuck (the cage itself is awkward to pick up from the shelf too) so I have to take him to another location manually. I’ll try making some mazes and stuff for him, thank you! Smile

If you have a desk where you like to sit and work / browse the internet / draw / etc, you could make a little playground for him out of cardboard to play on while you're there. I had a much bigger one for the mice a wild back that I called the Mouse Mall, got rid of it two moves ago and regret it lol. But I've made a smaller one to let the mice hide and play when they're on my desk.

"Camp Squeak" - https://photos.app.goo.gl/gf3QcJe3VNk6WfmeA
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Tue 12 Jan 2021, 11:04 am

I AM considering grabbing the door from this travel carrier and zip tying it to a side of the bin?? Not sure how to make work.. (p.s., are you going through with the ASFs? I saw some of your posts on an ASF group!)

That's exactly what I did with cage fronts from old CritterTrail cages and they work perfectly:
How much out of cage time? PdEi5dc

The cage you linked seems to have bars too widely spaced?

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next