Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much out of cage time?

+5
Dee67
River
milkyway
Peachy
Oreoandfriends
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How much out of cage time? - Page 2 Empty Re: How much out of cage time?

Post by Dee67 Sun 17 Jan 2021, 6:05 pm

@Oreoandfriends Here is my Figgy's set up...on the spare bed in the spare room
How much out of cage time? - Page 2 20210113
Dee67
Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Oreoandfriends likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparkles Wed 20 Jan 2021, 8:16 pm

Your only consideration for out of cage time should be for taming. Your mouse should have enough space in his cage that he doesn't need you to take him out for exercise.

Sparkles

Aries Starving

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends Wed 20 Jan 2021, 8:55 pm

Sparkles wrote:Your only consideration for out of cage time should be for taming. Your mouse should have enough space in his cage that he doesn't need you to take him out for exercise.
Okay now I’m just confused on what your standards are for mouse housing. Out of curiosity, what do YOU consider to be the bare minimum cage size for a single male mouse?
Its best to provide as much space as possible but many mice will become stressed in large cages. Also considering that my cage can hold 9 mice according to this very own websites cage calculator, I think he’s good!
Un neutered male mice also miss out on social time, and we as humans can not provide the companionship of another mouse but we can at least handle them for some company. I personally believe it’s necessary to handle lone males on a daily basis if you are unable to neuter them or house them with ASF rats.
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 20 Jan 2021, 11:27 pm

Sparkles wrote:Your only consideration for out of cage time should be for taming. Your mouse should have enough space in his cage that he doesn't need you to take him out for exercise.

It isn't about exercise or taming. 

Male mice are extremely social animals, not unlike the girls. However, in America (where most people in this forum are based) it is often not an option to house them with other mice. Vets here don't usually neuter mice, and ASF's are illegal in many states. They fight other males, often to the death...so they're alone.

This means you absolutely need to spend time with a male mouse, no matter how big your cage is. Even if it's the size of your bedroom, we are their only hope at avoiding the devastating effects of social isolation. We can't replace another mouse, but we can let them can perform some social behaviors like grooming, cuddling, and playing...all invaluable things to mice.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Peachy, Oreoandfriends and Dee67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Fri 22 Jan 2021, 6:46 pm

I don't handle my male mice since they are all nippy. I got them a giant pen, filled with stuff - ladders, hides, tunnels, a wheel, water dish, etc. where I put each of them as I clean their bins, scrub their wheels, etc. I scatter a few treats around the playpen for them to find. They spend maybe an hour or so in that and then seem quite happy to go home. I like to rearrange their home bins as well, so it seems new to them to explore when I put them back. They get plenty of exercise in their large bins, but I think they enjoy the change of scenery.

Okay now I’m just confused on what your standards are for mouse housing. Out of curiosity, what do YOU consider to be the bare minimum cage size for a single male mouse?

It's my opinion that you can't go too big for an enclosure for a captive animal, as long as the environment is suitable, i.e., tons of stuff in a mouse cage so they feel safe and have things to keep them occupied.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Peachy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends Fri 22 Jan 2021, 7:26 pm

SarahAdams wrote:I don't handle my male mice since they are all nippy. I got them a giant pen, filled with stuff - ladders, hides, tunnels, a wheel, water dish, etc. where I put each of them as I clean their bins, scrub their wheels, etc. I scatter a few treats around the playpen for them to find. They spend maybe an hour or so in that and then seem quite happy to go home. I like to rearrange their home bins as well, so it seems new to them to explore when I put them back. They get plenty of exercise in their large bins, but I think they enjoy the change of scenery.

It's my opinion that you can't go too big for an enclosure for a captive animal, as long as the environment is suitable, i.e., tons of stuff in a mouse cage so they feel safe and have things to keep them occupied.

Thanks for the reply! I definitely want to set up a cool play pen for him, that’s a great idea. I also agree that you should always aim for as big of a cage as possible! I just know that some mice will get stressed in large environments (especially if they’re somewhat bare), but they can definitely thrive in very large spaces. Ive heard for large groups of females it’s not recommended to give them too large of a space because they’ll likely separate into smaller groups and become territorial, but I’m not sure if there’s too much research backing that.
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Peachy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Sat 23 Jan 2021, 12:04 am

My Figgy has a big cage, lots of tubes, a dig bin, an entire bed full of toys, and a second smaller cage for moving him about when I clean, but I still handle and play with him every day for at least 2 sessions of 20-30 minutes. That's when he gets a chance to crawl all over me, play in my hair, snuggle,  and just generally interact with me so he doesn't get lonely. As someone said,  the space available is just one factor, a lone male mouse needs close daily contact too. And you will be rewarded for it with a loving mummy or daddy's boy.
Dee67
Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Peachy and Oreoandfriends like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2