Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Do I Take Pictures Of Small Animals?

+3
stephlisa
River
Bandit Cat
7 posters

Go down

How Do I Take Pictures Of Small Animals? Empty How Do I Take Pictures Of Small Animals?

Post by Bandit Cat Tue 12 Jul 2016, 3:41 pm

I was wondering how I could take pictures of my pets. We all know that most small animals are pretty speedy, Smile so how could you take pictures of them?

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

How Do I Take Pictures Of Small Animals? Empty Re: How Do I Take Pictures Of Small Animals?

Post by River Tue 12 Jul 2016, 3:46 pm

Most people just get 100+ and pick out one or two good ones. You could get a micro filter for your camera or something. TFM had a great post on this here. http://www.thefunmouse.com/about/pictures.cfm and I don't think it was ever moved over.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

How Do I Take Pictures Of Small Animals? Empty Re: How Do I Take Pictures Of Small Animals?

Post by stephlisa Tue 12 Jul 2016, 5:40 pm

I find patience and constant practise is the key for me.
My general method is to give Colin one or two toys to play with during photo times, make sure my camera is set on a fast shutter speed and snap whenever the shot looks good. If its a favourite toy, then I'll often get the camera focusing on the spot I know he likes best which makes photos easier.
Otherwise its point, click and hope for me (like the rest of my photography...one of my hobbies is nature and wildlife photography...my reaction times have improved dramatically since I started).

I do actually tend to go for the 'chase the mouse with the camera' approach, but that's probably come from practise stalking butterflies, moths and birds...

I have yet to work out how to photograph Colin with my phone camera though, its just not good enough most of the time.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 12 Jul 2016, 6:19 pm

ThePetekeyPrep wrote:Most people just get 100+ and pick out one or two good ones.

This is what I do. Laughing

ThePetekeyPrep wrote:TFM had a great post on this here. http://www.thefunmouse.com/about/pictures.cfm and I don't think it was ever moved over.

Done. I never noticed it before!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CAPSLOCK Tue 12 Jul 2016, 9:00 pm

A good camera works wonders. That'll give you a bunch of clear shots to choose from in each session, instead of one or two. I can rarely get anything worthwhile from the POS camera in my phone, but my DSLR does a great job. Regardless, you'll have a lot of useless photos either way.

Otherwise, take lots of photos and you'll get a few that come out well. Stuff that makes them pause is a great way to get an in-focus shot - treats are great for this. I also like putting them in a dish or glass, teacup, etc - and when they pop their little heads out to look around you snap the shot. For the same reason, if they are sleepy and just poke their little faces out of their nest / hammock, they tend to stay still long enough to get a good photo.

4 black lady-mice
CAPSLOCK
CAPSLOCK
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 13 Jul 2016, 8:55 am

Oh taking pictures of little pets is so hard. Most of the time they just don't stay still enough so they come out all blurry. I just tend to snap loads of pictures and hope that I get at least one good one.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 14 Jul 2016, 2:36 am

It's easy to grab pics if they are eating or sleeping. Otherwise, just rapid fire photos usually catch something cute. And as a last resort, I will make a video and then do screen grabs.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down