Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse throwing a tantrum?

5 posters

Go down

Mouse throwing a tantrum? Empty Mouse throwing a tantrum?

Post by ubemilkshake Tue 23 Feb 2021, 12:00 am

Hi all,

Just happened a moment ago but it's the strangest behavior I've ever seen from Maisy, I've never seen her behave like this before. So she was biting on the metal bars of her and Ruby's cage. (It's a crittertrail cage that I repurposed and left for them in their 50 gal bin). I tried to open the rooftop to let her out, ended up lifting the metal bar walls along with her still holding on to it, put it down (made sure not to catch her tail and any other body part). Then she suddenly was squeaking angrily, running in a circle after she got down and ran around in the cage angrily like as if she was in a squabble but it was just with herself. She still seemed tense after, so I gave her a little bit of a cracker that my girls love to eat as treats to hopefully calm her down.

I have no idea what was up with her to do this, this is the first time she's ever behaved like this, and I never expected it from her. She's been biting on the same part of the cage for a couple days now - the corner where she and Ruby usually sleep by. She is usually pretty mellow, chill, and only ever gets angry or into fights to defend herself from getting humped. Her cagemate Ruby was also away from this happening, running on their saucer outside the cage, and they haven't fought with each other. Food and water is there also, filled up. And the crittertrail's door and side holes are always left open for them to go out of, so I'm not sure why she keeps biting on it like as if she can't get out. It's also not closed off by the walls, they still have space to get out from the side holes.

This is also what their bin looks like after their cleaning day which was just yesterday:
Mouse throwing a tantrum? 20210210

Has anyone's mice ever gotten into a tantrum like this before too? Just something that just happens sometimes?
ubemilkshake
ubemilkshake
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Mouse throwing a tantrum? Empty Re: Mouse throwing a tantrum?

Post by River Tue 23 Feb 2021, 2:01 am

Laughing Mr. Bald has thrown his fair share of tantrums when I take away his toys for cleaning, but never made a peep over them. It sounds like she was just stressed...and a wee bit dramatic. If she's back to normal now I wouldn't worry. I would look into solving that bar-biting, though. Bar chewing can damage teeth and noses so it's best to discourage it. I'd add some more toys to the cage (mice like clutter) or weave cardboard through the bars and see how that helps.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

SarahAdams, Dee67 and ubemilkshake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ubemilkshake Tue 23 Feb 2021, 7:50 pm

Thanks!! Maisy seems to be feeling better. Last night she was sitting out under the egg carton and Ruby went over to cuddle with her until they went back to the cage Love

I am slowly adding DIY popsicle stick toys for them to make the bin more fun!
ubemilkshake
ubemilkshake
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Mouse throwing a tantrum? Empty Tantrums

Post by ShiruSenpai Wed 24 Feb 2021, 4:53 am

I've had a few tantrums over the past year and a half. April has always been quite passive but if I hadn't hand fed her treats or handled her, she would literally throw her saw dust out of her cage. Some times she would even just pace up and down the side of the cage. Recently she's resorted to being vocal about getting attention. She will squeak like a dog's squeaky toy until I come to give her attention. You might find that Maisy is just being a little needy. They tend to get that way when they're on heat, if they're lonely or if they aren't getting along with the rest of their mousy family.
Just while I've been typing this, April pulled a toy over which she knows makes a noise, just to get my attention. She's a rather spoiled little mouse.
ShiruSenpai
ShiruSenpai

Gemini

Dee67 and ubemilkshake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Wed 24 Feb 2021, 9:11 pm

Figgus throws a tantrum almost every day, it's hilarious. When he's with me, on me crawling about or on my lap, he is a sweetie darling. Cuddles and almost purrs when I scratch him. But God forbid if I go to rearrang, change or touch his toys or put my hand on HIS cage. Then he's practically shaking with rage, jumps and bops, and bounces up and down, like he's saying "I'll kill you, I'll kill you for touching MY STUFF!!!". Too much! 😆 I 💘 him so.
Dee67
Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

River, SarahAdams and ubemilkshake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Thu 25 Feb 2021, 10:22 am

Dee67 wrote:Figgus throws a tantrum almost every day, it's hilarious.  When he's with me, on me crawling about or on my lap, he is a sweetie darling. Cuddles and almost purrs when I scratch him. But God forbid if I go to rearrang, change or touch his toys or put my hand on HIS cage. Then he's practically shaking with rage, jumps and bops, and bounces up and down, like he's saying "I'll kill you, I'll kill you for touching MY STUFF!!!". Too much! 😆 I 💘 him so.

That is too funny. Towering mouse rage! Haha

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 27 Feb 2021, 8:05 pm

Mr. Bald had a tantrum today when I cleaned his cage out. Lots of grumpy chattering. Laughing I hate when mice chatter, it always makes me paranoid. He stopped as soon as I was done and he realized he had new toys.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Sat 27 Feb 2021, 9:56 pm

Figgus has never been verbal but he pops in a very annoyed way. I'm sorry, but I can't help giggling at little mousie temper tantrums Censored
Dee67
Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

ubemilkshake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down