Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taming a scared Mouse

2 posters

Go down

Taming a scared Mouse Empty Taming a scared Mouse

Post by JBerti228 Tue 30 Mar 2021, 8:51 am

Good morning. I have two female mice, Tequila (Brindle) and Corona (Black Self). We have had them for a few weeks and got them from a breeder. I am trying to make sure they see me and get used to my hand every day. Tequila is very outgoing and has been curious from the start. She will already jump on the ledge of the tank and walk around it and has no problem coming to the top level when I come to give her a treat, or even running up my arms.

Corona is a different situation though. I let her get more comfortable and come up to me, and she was making good progress (I think) cause she was out and on my hand and eventually came up my arm part way.

Since the girls were both feeling more comfortable, we bought a small pet play pen and put some new toys in there for them, just so they can get used to being out and interacting with us. I have been using a paper tube to transport them from their tank to the play pen (literally right beside the tank, on the floor) and Tequila has been fine, but now Corona has reverted back to being super shy. She doesn't seem to want to go and I have to chase her into the tube to get her into the playpen, and/or back into her tank. The last thing I want to do is scare her and make her hate or fear me.

Should I leave Corona in the tank for now and just take out Tequila? I don't know which will stress her out more - me pulling her out and having to chase her, or leaving her alone in the tank.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you! :-)
JBerti228
JBerti228

Back to top Go down

Taming a scared Mouse Empty Re: Taming a scared Mouse

Post by River Tue 30 Mar 2021, 10:13 pm

I would take it slow with her. If she's more comfortable socializing in the cage, start there -- let her approach you and explore your hands in an environment that she feels safe in. I wouldn't push her into anything she's uncomfortable if it seems to be making her more anxious than before. She shouldn't be too bothered by her sister doing something else for a bit. Smile
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

catnapt likes this post

Back to top Go down