Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Red Swollen bottom

2 posters

Go down

Red Swollen bottom Empty Red Swollen bottom

Post by KenzelColony Sun 06 Jun 2021, 12:01 pm

One of my female mice, Pearl, somehow got out of her container, I have upgraded her to a more secure one with her babies until they are old enough to be separated but she has a red swollen lump on her butthole, it looks almost like what a prolapse would look like but I don't want to assume anything major or attempt anything without some suggestions first, please and thank you for any help you can offer.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/20/34/09/09/20210610.jpg

KenzelColony
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn

Back to top Go down

Red Swollen bottom Empty Re: Red Swollen bottom

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 08 Jun 2021, 3:34 pm

I agree that it looks prolapsed, and since Pearl recently birthed a litter that could account for such an occurrence.  However, it is not normal for that to happen, no matter what the cause.

Some pet owners feel comfortable simply pushing a prolapse back in where it belongs (after reading up online about how to attempt such a thing), or treating to reduce the swelling so the tissues will return to their normal size and proper location, but that may not take care of an underlying problem.  Pearl may have irritation or swelling or infection in her abdomen, from any of several causes, and after a "quick fix" she might just push her tissues right back out.

Something else -- How are her poopies?  Swelling like that could be very painful to push poopies through, or it could even block their exit completely.

So the BEST thing to do for Pearl, if the protruded tissues have not yet shrunk back to normal, is (of course) to take her to a doctor. The doctor should be able to properly identify the lump and determine treatment. Until then, try to find advice (either from the vet office or online) about how to keep the protruded tissue clean/moist to minimize further damage.

Keep us updated.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

M O U S E and KenzelColony like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KenzelColony Wed 09 Jun 2021, 8:04 pm

Thank you for your advice! Her pottys all looked normal, it may have just been a bit of stress because its back to normal now!

KenzelColony
Jr Member
Jr Member

Capricorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down