Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our other pets

+6
River
CallaLily
Rodents rock!
MouseLover
CinnamonPearl
scaredymouse
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Our other pets Empty Our other pets

Post by scaredymouse Sat 16 Jul 2016, 9:03 am

I've been meaning to start this thread for quite some time.  Most of you have probably seen these pictures scattered around in my posts but I would love to see everyone elses pets, so I thought I would start Smile  Feel free to tell us about your pets and/or include animals that have passed.

I have a lot of animals in this house... this is going to be very picture heavy, I'm sure I won't be able to pick just one picture of each!

I guess I'll go biggest to smallest, that way I can't play favorites...

Here we have Maya, my oldest cat.  I got her when she was a year old from the humane society she'll be 11 this year.  I had just moved to Michigan and my two cats from childhood had died before the move they were close to 20 years old.  I swore I would never love again... but well, then I met Maya.  She's the best.  It took a while for us to warm up to each other but now we're inseparable.  She has a seizure disorder that she has to take medication for but still gets a few of them a month.  Poor kitty.

Our other pets 15404210
Our other pets 15462310
Our other pets 11080410

Then we have Kevin.  He's about 3 years old.  He was abandoned at the vet because his owners didn't think he was worth treating.  The vet refused to euthanize him, decided to perform free surgery on him, and put him up for adoption.  I saw a flyer for him and thought that was really sad.  He looked like a real nice guy and he was very handsome, so I brought him home.  Maya would prefer that he wasn't here... but she tolerates him.  She's usually pretty mean to him but he is so kind to her.  It's very sweet.  He is the most gentle boy and he has such a playful soul.  The tip of his tail is white and he really enjoys chasing it.  And I enjoy watching.

Our other pets Adobep30
Our other pets Instag12
Our other pets Wp_20231

Next we have Zoey & Chloe, the chinchillas.  They are new.  I had seen them on Petfinder for many months.  I never really thought of myself as a chinchilla person, I mean who doesn't love them... but they just seemed so exotic!  But I know someone with chinchillas and they started seeming possible.  Then one day, I thought I would just ask some questions.  That's when I heard about their sad story of moving around to 7 homes in just five years.  Just awful.  They can live up to 20 years and they are so smart... I wanted to give them a home.  We're still getting to know each other but I can tell you that they are very playful.  Nicknames:  ZuZu and Piggy

Our other pets Adobep32
Our other pets Wp_20235
Our other pets Wp_20232
Our other pets Wp_20236

Then there is Splotchy... this is the silliest hamster that ever lived.  And she's gigantic.  She is so funny and makes so many goofy faces.  She was a rescue from the dreaded back room at Petco.  She had been there for over 6 months but no one wanted her, so they put her in the back room.  I had seen her earlier that day and noticed how depressed she looked.  She weighs over 200 grams and was in a 10g tank with a 4.5" spinner wheel, which she couldn't run on.  I had actually seen her there for months but really noticed her that day.  I had to go back and get her.  By the time I got back, there was another hamster in the tank she was in and I thought, oh good, someone finally bought her.  And I almost left, then I thought I would check.  That's when I found out she was moved to the back.  Thank god I asked.

Our other pets Wp_20237
Our other pets Wp_ss_10
Our other pets Wp_20240
Our other pets Wp_20243

Then we have Murray.  This little fella was one of those rare occasions where I just go to the pet store with something in mind and come with that very thing!  He was my first Syrian ham.  He seemed normal enough but he is very timid.  He is scared of everything and has little panic attacks sometimes.  It took him months to warm up to me but now he eagerly jumps on my hand.  He still doesn't like to be held, but he really enjoys his free range time in the critter room.  Nickname: Murmey

Our other pets 12417810
Our other pets Wp_20244
Our other pets Wp_20246

My little Katie.  I went to the petstore to get a Syrian ham but in the tank next to them, I saw this little lady and there was no denying her.  She did a little dance and of course, she's gorgeous.  So I had to bring her home with me.  She was a big biter at first and she bit hard!  It took a while to break the habit but now she's the sweetest thing <3

Our other pets Adobep34
Our other pets Wp_20247
Our other pets Wp_20250

Next up, we have Binky and Boopers (they came as a set).  My two little robovorski hams.  These sisters lived together for a couple of months but they started fighting and had to be separated.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  They are pretty friendly and so very fun to watch.  Nicknames:  Binx and Boops

Our other pets Adobep35
Our other pets Wp_20252
Our other pets Wp_ss_11

There are plenty of pictures of my mice all over the forum, so I won't put them here, too.  But I will add picture of my critters who have gone to heaven.

Penny, my heart mouse

Our other pets Wp_20254

Annie, who died far too young

Our other pets Adobep37

Lucy, my first hamster.  She was one of a kind.

Our other pets Wp_20253
Our other pets Adobep36
Our other pets Adobep38
Our other pets Wp_20257

Honeybun, my heart hamster.  She was so sick when I got her but with a little help, she lived a good life.

before:

Our other pets Ears10
Our other pets Before10

after:

Our other pets Wp_20256

If you made it all the way through this post, Congrats  Clap

I just love my critters so much, I am compelled to post pictures and tell stories about them.  I hope you enjoyed looking at them Heart Eyes

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Our other pets Empty Re: Our other pets

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 16 Jul 2016, 11:19 am

Ooh, what a fun thread! Well, all of the pets that I'm about to post except for one have all either passed away or don't live with me anymore, but I'd still like to share. Right now I'm pretty strictly a mouse person, but I've had all sorts of different critters. I guess I'll go in chronological order.

This here is my first pet and little brother Ace. My uncle brought him all the way from Slovakia when he was a baby, and he lived with us for a good ten years before he passed from cancer. We had quite our ups and downs. He was a troublesome doggy. It was hard to take him anywhere because he was prone to wanting to rip out the jugulars of other dogs and would bite any human who stood in his way, but he was always so obedient and a joy to have around. We used to go for walks in the woods, and I never even used a leash! His favorite thing to do was play tag, where I would always be the tagger and he would have a grand old time watching me struggle to keep up with him. 

Our other pets Acew11

Now here's Perry, my heart bird who I got as a kid back in 2010. In hindsight, a ten year old kid such as myself should not have been granted a parrot, which I hold are the absolute most difficult pets to care for, but I'm lucky I started doing research and really putting effort into taking care of this girl. She was a temperamental one. She was grumpy, she refused to eat her vegetables (even when I bought a $40 parrot cookbook), and she was always bored. But boy, she was such a snuggler and a great friend. She died very, very young from egg laying complications. An egg broke inside her and she got infected, and her vet didn't realize before it was too late. I miss her sometimes, but I love to remember our good times together! We even showered together. 

Our other pets 5-25-110
Our other pets 4-16-110 
(You can tell by the position of her crest that she was a bit afraid to be riding the pony.)

And since I've already posted pictures of my betta fish, I'll skip them and jump straight to the fire-bellied toads! This first one here is Cowslip. He was a beast of a frog in his prime, always stealing crickets out of everyone's mouths and jumping all over his best friend/boyfriend Ducky. He got sick and died a couple of years after I had him.

Our other pets 1-10-110

And here's Ducky, the second of the dynamic duo. He was pretty shy and nervous when I first got him, but he later came out of his shell and became quite an authority in the colony. Behind him is Nick, who I got from a scam. I was promised by a breeder that I would get a very rare patternless fire-bellied toad, but when I received him in the mail, I was very upset to see that he actually did have spots! I completely bashed that breeder on the frog forum I used to attend. Both these guys passed away a couple years into my getting them. Duck passed of the same strange illness that took Cowslip, and Nick died very suddenly. I'm not sure what happened to him.

Our other pets 1-14-110

Next is Olive. She was a sweet, chubby little thing. She was the third of my first three frogs alongside Duck and Cow. I loved her quite a lot! She unfortunately got an eye infection, and when I separated her to treat her, she escaped the hospital tank and I didn't find her until many months later when it was far too late. I'm glad I found her in the end, because now she's buried next to her two brothers. 

Our other pets 9-11-110

This next one is Crowley. As you can see, he is an extremely special and rare specimen. He's an all-black fire bellied toad! These guys are extremely rare, so I was lucky to find him. I got him from the same breeder where I got Nick, but luckily this little guy was worth every penny I paid for him. He's absolutely stunning, and he was a great addition to the colony.

Our other pets 1-11-110

And last was Marcy. This girl was an absolute troublemaker. I had a little river system in their tank, and she was relentless at getting into the waterfall chamber where she easily could have drowned. She never did, thank goodness, but it gave me quite a reason to worry! She was very spunky and excitable, and she was a devil at feeding time. She was a two-toned fire belly. Her colors weren't great, but as you can see, she had both green and brown skin, a rare trait. After Duck and Nick died, it was just Crowley and Marcy in the tank. I wanted to phase out my frog tank, but I didn't want either of them to end up alone, so I rehomed them to a man in the Catskills who had a really great firebelly toad setup and was looking to acquire some rare frogs. I paid $100 each for these two, but I gave them to him for free. Apparently when they arrived, Marcy quickly became best friends with another female there. I often wonder how they're doing.

Our other pets 1-14-111

This last frog is BMO, who's actually a pacman frog. I had the absolute worst luck with pacman frogs. This little girl unfortunately got anxiety, stopped eating, and starved herself within a month of living with me. It was very upsetting. I tried getting another pacman frog, an adult, but the same thing happened, so I gave up on the species. She was quite a cutie though! I don't have pictures of the adult, Bulbasaur, and I only have two of this girl.

Our other pets 3-24-110

And last but not least is Felix!! This adorable little kitten just showed up in the backyard without a collar. We brought him inside and took him to the vet the next morning, but he had no microchip, so we declared him ours. He's the most precious little guy you could ever imagine. I'll sometimes be in the kitchen and I'll hear him sprinting through the hallway upstairs, and he loves to carry around his little stuffed animal kitty with him. And he's the most snuggly animal I've had since Perry. He'll lay on your lap for hours and paw and suckle at you, and he loves to rub his head on you and get kisses. He's the greatest gift the universe could've given us. He just makes the whole family so very happy. I love him!

Our other pets 6-14-114
Our other pets 6-14-113

And last are my two little girls who passed away. First is Lilith, the spunky little spider queen. I remember as I was bringing her home from Petsmart, she was jumping excitedly all over her carrier and spider-mousing on the lid. I picked her because when I put my hand in the tank, she was the first mouse to step on me. She was a precious little baby mouse, and she was taken by a tapeworm far too early. I'm glad she had a good life, though, and she passed very peacefully in her sleep. (She was so quick and excitable, I only ever got one good picture of her.)

Our other pets 12-9-111

And last is Little Cow. Everyone on here already knows this girl. She lived a good long life and was happy and herself to her last day. I still miss her quite a lot. Last night, as I was saying goodnight to the girls, I always say, "Goodnight Rosie, goodnight Mabel, goodnight Eglantine," but I accidentally said, "Goodnight Rosie, goodnight Mabel, goodnight Little Cow." I slipped back a year in the past. It's never happened to me before; I'm rarely one to forget that someone is gone. But it was pretty jarring. But anyway, I'll stop talking about this sad stuff. Here's a pic of the little Queen of Being Annoying!

Our other pets 2-18-111

And those are all the pets I've had! I'm pretty content to be a mouse person right now, but I do have four goldfish who I'd like to share. I'll get pictures of them and edit them in.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 16 Jul 2016, 11:32 am

Looovely pets scaredymouse Very Happy Thanks for sharing! I love Katie and Kevin Smile
The before pictures of Honeybun made me so sad, but wow! What a transformation!

CinnamonPearl I've always wanted a cockatiel, I think it's those little pikachu cheeks!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 16 Jul 2016, 11:52 am

You know, honeybun was in such bad shape when found her... I took her just to put her to sleep. But that was on a Friday and by Monday she really perked up. But she was so malnourished and anemic from parasites, she could barely walk. She was a fighter though. She wanted to live, so I did everything I could to help her. It cost me fortune but it was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 16 Jul 2016, 12:03 pm

MouseLover wrote:CinnamonPearl I've always wanted a cockatiel, I think it's those little pikachu cheeks!

They are pretty adorable! And they're quite sweet birds, too. Parrots are just so terribly difficult to care for. >.<

Scaredy, Honeybun's story is truly inspiring.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 16 Jul 2016, 12:34 pm

scaredymouse wrote:You know, honeybun was in such bad shape when found her... I took her just to put her to sleep.  But that was on a Friday and by Monday she really perked up.  But she was so malnourished and anemic from parasites, she could barely walk.  She was a fighter though.  She wanted to live, so I did everything I could to help her.  It cost me fortune but it was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.
Wow those are amazing before and after pics of Honeybun! So glad you had saved her. Where did you get her from that she was in that bad of shape Scaredymouse?

I so enjoyed seeing all your beautiful pets (past and present) and hearing all their stories. Thank you much for sharing!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 16 Jul 2016, 3:36 pm

I've already shared pics of the dogs and cats, so I'll skip those here.

Lizard Ninja is my youngest son's leopard gecko. We got him when he was 1.5 years old so he's now about 7 years old. He's very calm and more than a little lazy.
Our other pets Tempor10

Then I have my hermit crabs. I won't fill the thread with pictures of all of them, but here's Cinnamon who's been with us for coming up on 8 years.
Our other pets Img_2012
I keep two species, C. clypeatus and C. compressus.  Their names are Cinnamon, Elanor, Athelas, Taniquelasse (Tani for short), Collins, Montana, Cannonball, Popcorn, Dola, Rameriz, Chunk, Lettie, Emerald, Aoife, Salma, and Algaliarept (Gally for short).

And last but not least, Sylvie the corn snake. One of my husband's coworkers couldn't care for her anymore so we took her in. She's around 3 years old.  I'll put her pic in a spoiler tab in case some don't want to see.
Spoiler:

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 16 Jul 2016, 3:54 pm

I don't think there's a reason to hide pictures of snakes. I mean, we all know snakes exist and we all know what to eat. There's no reason to pretend it isn't what it is.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 16 Jul 2016, 4:03 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:I don't think there's a reason to hide pictures of snakes. I mean, we all know snakes exist and we all know what to eat. There's no reason to pretend it isn't what it is.

I don't mind putting her in a spoiler tab in case others are uncomfortable or phobic. We love her but I can still understand that pictures of snakes on a pet mouse forum may not be welcomed by all.  It's not hurting anything to place the pic behind a spoiler tab.. Better to give a heads up and allow members to choose if they want to look.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 16 Jul 2016, 4:07 pm

Looove that gecko, so cool! And I never knew hermit crabs lived so long... what's the maximum age they tend to get to? So interesting Smile

My friend is so scared of snakes, she can't look at pictures of them and she won't even watch a movie if she hears there's a snake scene in it (e.g. Harry Potter lol). I think snakes are lovely, but if CallaLily had a tarantula as a pet I might not want to see it Razz

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 16 Jul 2016, 4:14 pm

MouseLover wrote:Looove that gecko, so cool! And I never knew hermit crabs lived so long... what's the maximum age they tend to get to? So interesting Smile

There's a lady who had two Purple Pinchers (C. clypeatus), one passed in it's late 30s a few years ago.  Last I heard the other still lives. Mind you, that's 30-something years with her.  They were probably at least a couple years old when she got them.

I have one Purple Pincher that I adopted in May 2014. His previous owner had him for 13 years before that.

Edit: Carol Ormes is her name. "Kate" died in 2011 but as of 2013 "Jonathan" was still alive at 37 years with her. So if he's still alive he's around 40. http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/giving-hermit-crabs-a-full-long-life

It's thought that they can live even longer in the wild. Sadly in captivity the average I think is around 10 years for the more common Purple Pincher. More exotic species tend to do even worse in captivity. (Only a handful of "crabbers" around the world have succesfully raised captive bred hermit crabs to land, so all in the pet trade are wild caught. Why I choose to adopt over buying.)

Edit again: I should add that my guess of an average of 10 years is with proper care. Far far more die within weeks or months because so many buy them on a whim and don't research. Not to mention all the ones that probably don't survive capture and shipping.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 16 Jul 2016, 4:41 pm

*wait, what? how long do hermit crabs live?!?

*cinna- Perry is so darn cute! And I love frogs. I'm happy there are so many in our back yard. Big juicy ones, too Smile

to answer someone's question... Honeybun was in the back room at Petco. I saw a tiny sign on one of the hamster tanks that said they had a hamster in the back room that needed adopting. I asked about it and I sorta knew the worker, so he started telling me about her and after I laid my eyes on her... I just couldn't believe it. they allegedly had been treating her but gave up. once I got her to the vet, they determined that she had scabies and ringworm, anemia, malnutrition, and her immune system was shot. she ended up being on oral antifungals her whole life, which eventually caused liver failure. she was 6 months old when i got her and I had her for about a year... it was a good year. she was such a great ham. I loved to see her run. I was so happy to make her happy... and she was always happy. I was so broken hearted when she died.

On day one, she could barely walk but by day 7, she began to run. She was so little, even for a dwarf hammie. I think she weighed about 30g most of her life. It was my absolute pleasure to care for her. If I talk about her too much, I still get really weepy. I miss her so much. In fact, I need to stop writing about her, I'm starting to get teary eyed. She was the best...

Here's a video of her after a week with me Smile
https://youtu.be/ZZQQOQB25ek

And here's a video of her carrying a milkbone around in her later in life.
https://youtu.be/5ohZ2slmIFI

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 16 Jul 2016, 4:56 pm

A year and a half is a pretty good lifespan really, for a hamster who looked THAT sick at one point. What an amazing thing you did for that sweet little creature.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 16 Jul 2016, 5:17 pm

That's strange the crabs lived so long! I thought the general lifespan for hermit crabs was 30 years? I could be wrong, though, I only had them shortly as a small child. I don't remember what happened to them, exactly; I'd have to ask.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 16 Jul 2016, 7:08 pm

I was hoping someone would get around to starting this! So neat to see everyone's pets. Smile

This kitty was put to sleep December 31, 2014, but she was my favorite. Her name was Sunflower, I always called her Bunny. We got her from the rescue when she was an older kitten in 2001-02. She had to have her eye removed in summer 2012, but our vets never really had answers about what was going on with her. Her face got poofy again summer 2014. She was so silly, one time I walked into the kitchen and she was curled up in a frying pan. The next night she was sleeping on a plate of porkchops. Love
Our other pets 16178814731_bce707c61cOur other pets 16178814851_e547d572fd

We were best friends for sure. The first picture was winter 2010 and the second was fall 2014. Smile
Our other pets 15558322354_4f756993f3_nOur other pets 15185616833_51ea9d6d1c_n

I adopted Phantom/MowMow/CryBaby from the rescue about a month after I graduated high school in 2010. She was 11 months, so she's around seven years old. She goes outside during the day and comes in to snuggle at night. She's also very talkative!
Our other pets 28249182432_428a3e4649

Next is Cheeto/Dr Mew. I got him as a kitten in November 2014. He's all growed up and HUGE now. He's also a snuggler. I have few good pictures of him because he always gets up to sit on my lap when he sees me. lol
Our other pets 15966049799_966c3973e4_nOur other pets 28004829152_d1877824d5_n

Missy is the newest kitty. Her adoption papers said she was 12 years and 7 months, so we estimate that she's about 14 now. For a while she would hit you and then crouch in a corner like you were gonna hit her back. Now she hits you and gives you a "heh heh" look. Laughing
Our other pets 27736791054_f1795d6a1a
Our other pets 27736973484_a9af03363bOur other pets 27736790884_745be1c457

And Lilly.
Our other pets 28319553086_f285db84fa_n

A few of our cichlids.
Our other pets 27498139804_a1b697e1b5

Last edited by abeona on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down